What are you reading?

Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel. Might be hard for those who’ve lost someone they strongly loved but also might better identify with it, too.

Re-Reading “A Confederacy of Dunces” to see if I still find it humorous.

1 Like

I dug up a copy of it for the opposite reason (to see if I still don’t find it humorous, that is), but haven’t gotten around to starting it. Looking to see if it is still humorous seems better than looking to see if it’s not, as far as motivation goes.

I agree. I find it hilarious. I love Miss Trixie.

1 Like

People are polarized about “A Confederacy of Dunces”. I thought it was the funniest book I had ever read when I read it about 40 years ago. Maybe my tastes have changed since then (but probably not).

We have an entire thread for Sanderson! Way of Kings (WoK) is pretty awesome, if you can get through the first half(ish). He does a lot of world/character building, but if you can get through the slog, the payoff is amazing. Great series, and my favorite fantasy author.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. Sanderson is a favorite of some of my colleagues so I thought I’d give him a try.

1 Like

FWIW, WoK is a hard book to start on. Usually I recommend Mistborn (The Final Empire) or Elantris to start into the world of Sanderson. WoK is an awesome book though, so if you can make through, it’s worth it. Just don’t feel discouraged if you have been listening for 5 hours and you still aren’t sure who the main character is :rofl:

1 Like

Klara and the Sun.

1 Like

Yeah, I can get through it, but I think I’m gonna need the kindle version to help me keep track of stuff.

I’m not even 5 hours in. So far it feels like a series of short stories.

Yeah, it takes a while to settle in and realize who you’re supposed to care about. I remember reading the first chapter thinking I was supposed to care about this young soldier put into a new group… only to find out quickly that no, I should not form attachments with that character!

Did not like.

Been a while since I remembered this thread existed.

I enjoyed love lives here – interesting perspective to have (written by a NB person that had both their daughter and wife come out as trans before they came out as NB).

Then just devoured The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells. 5 novellas and a full length novel, and I’m now anxious for the next book to come out already. Just a fun set of stories — Murderbot is a fantastic character.

Now reading the first book of Naomi Novik’s Temeraire series, which is a book about a captain in the Age of Sail … who becomes a dragon rider. So far, it’s really promising – it’s a long series (8 or 9 books), so that might become my summer reading list.

2 Likes

I’ll second this! Very fun series.

Read all of those, then read Battle of the Linguist Mages, then finished the Dragonlance Chronicles, Lost Chronicles, and am almost done with the Legends trilogy.

Dunno if I’ll continue with my Dragonlance reread or take a break with some other fantasy.

I’m not familiar with Murderbot, but added it to the list. When I searched for Murderbot, this tshirt popped up, and I almost ordered it without ever reading any of the books. Murderbot Diaries SecUnit Cares - Murderbot - T-Shirt | TeePublic

ha, I love it.

Murderbot is like… a more upbeat Marvin the Paranoid Android. That can kill.

The Zimmerman Telegram by Barbara Tuchman

I didn’t know that the U.S. (or rather, Wilson & House) allowed the Germans to use the State Dept’s cable to send CODED telegrams back-and-forth while the U.S. was neutral, while the Germans were supposedly considering us as a peace broker. How dumb was that.

In between chapters of The Way of Kings I’m reading Gone Gull by Donna Andrews.

Taking a break. Started Thomas the Rhymer and The Master and Margarita.

1 Like