What are you reading?

Finished Catcher in the Rye.
Meh.
Not sure if my secretly hoping the narrator dies is a good thing for a book.

1 Like

Have you read the Mysterious Mr. Quin stories from Christie?

Itā€™s a similar conceit as Parker Pyne, in terms of loosely connected stories, except there are two main characters (Quin, who is more colorful, and Satterthwaite, who is more conventional).

No, I"ll add that to the list.

Iā€™m currently reading Harariā€™s Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. Iā€™m very attracted to books that could easily piss off half of my fellow parishioners from the church :slight_smile: First, I told everyone in a row about Dawkinsā€™s ideas. Does everyone know about God as an illusion? I may not agree with much, but how arguments are presented is a masterpiece. It amuses me when parishioners get angry. And Iā€™m trying to convey to them that this isnā€™t a test of faith. You need to be able to analyze different points of view and produce your own.

1 Like

In the Woods, by Tana French

1 Like

There is a special edition of The Master & Margarita for kindle on sale at Amazon for $1.99 today (in the U.S.)

When youā€™re listening to a murder mystery on audible and youā€™re pretty sure you figured it out but you get to work and it has 48 minutes to goā€¦

2 Likes

:therethere:

Well thank goodness for lunch time. Finished and I was right. So, Deadly Summer was a typical cozy except that it was easy enough for even me to solve the caseā€”which means it would be glaringly obvious to anyone else. It was entertaining enough thoughā€”over the top, but thatā€™s to be expected. I might listen to another if my library has these. (Got this one from an audible saleā€”but I wouldnā€™t spend more than a couple bucks on the next one.)

Next genre up - Romance. Going with The Notebook (Sparks)

1 Like

Making progress on The Way of Kings. Right on schedule. Honestly after my July book club read I may just finish it.

In the meantime Iā€™ve started Red White and Royal Blue by Casey McQueen. This has nothing to do with the 4th of July and everything to do with the fictional son of the first female president. Itā€™s been fun so far.

Also Peace Is a Practice by Morgan Harper Nichols bc it felt like a book I needed in my life.

These are all so different that switching between them hasnā€™t been a problem.

I finished All Systems Red. It was ok, not great, but good enough to move on to the next. It helped that it was very very short. And it seemed like a good setup for further books.

I moved on to I Shot The Buddha, another Dr Siri Paiboun mystery. I think I skipped one or two because I couldnā€™t find them easily on audiobook.

The Unexpected President: The Life and Times of Chester A. Arthur

started Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall.

This book ignited the ā€œbarefoot runningā€ craze about a decade ago.

Red White and Royal Blue was a dnf for me. Too much smut. And not bc it was a bromance. I mean I can stand so much, I can skip over some parts, but I found myself skipping more than I read. The setup was cute though.

Gonna focus on The Way of Kings this week bc Iā€™m actually enjoying this more than expected. But I have to start my July book club read on Friday.

On 4th book in Sanderson series - Rhythm of War. About 800 pages in.

1 Like

I finished I Shot The Buddha. It was fairly standard Dr Siri Paiboun. This one had the Dr and his friends split up and each running into a mystery involving a monk.

I was just gonna start Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel, but read that ā€œyou will have a much richer and more enjoyable reading experience if you read The Glass Hotel first.ā€ Iā€™ve read The Glass Hotel, but it was a little while ago now and I think I need to least read over the synopsis before starting this one. So I may start another Colin Cotterill mystery first, but this one featuring Jimm Juree.

next genre, SciFi. The Martian - Weir

1 Like

Started The Guest List by Lucy Foley, for book club.

I have three audible credits. I havenā€™t had great luck with audio books, but someone give me a recommendation anyway. Fiction.