What are you reading?

Picked up “Catcher in The Rye” from the family library. Another “classic” I should have read in earlier times.

Oh, I did a video:

I believe I mentioned some of the books above.

2 Likes

Boom Town by Sam Anderson, not Garrison Keillor. Not typing out that long subtitle.

It’s about the Thunder Basketball team but also about the history of Oklahoma City. Kinda fun for nonfiction.

1 Like

I heard a 99% invisible podcast where he was interviewed about it. I seem to recall that there was a previous connection with Seattle (before the NBA team) in the 60s(?) where they were testing supersonic jets in Oklahoma City.

Yes that’s in the book.

1 Like

Listening to Where the Crawdads Sing on audiobook. Got about 60% through it on my road trip today. I’m not sure I like it.

The Fabric of Civilization - by Virginia Postrel

history of textiles - each chapter is thematic (fiber, thread, cloth, dye), and within the chapter, it’s chronological

not sure what I was expecting, but I got really surprised by some of the stuff, and yeah, number theory, accounting, and banking wasn’t all that surprising once I thought about it

But I really didn’t expect cloth used as currency.

I highly recommend.

Also, what I should have expected, but forgot about – my undergrad university shows up a lot. (they’re known for their College of Textiles)

I forget about this sometimes as well. Just don’t think about it coming out of a generally ag-associated school. But also SAS and engineering. I remember the birth of Under Armour now that I think about it. The dri-fit tech all started there.

1 Like

A book I recently read that I think you might enjoy is “The Secret History of Home Economics: How Trailblazing Women Harnessed the Power of Home and Changed the Way We Live.”

When I was in high school in the 1960’s boys took Shop and the girls took Home Ec. Thus I didn’t know what went on in Home Ec class. This book was thus quite eye-opening for me as to the broader impact of Home Economics and how it changed women’s role in America. I highly recommend it. It is also interesting how Home Economics changed over the last 100+ years.

1 Like

Finished Backman’s Anxious People this week. I didn’t love it as much as others seem to.

Currently finishing up The Authenticity Project. My reading group that was reading this devolved into just a talking group.

Both of these books have a ton of characters and it can be hard to keep track, especially via audio. More than once I’ve backyracked thinking I missed something only to realize that I was just hearing from a different perspective this time.

I also started my “summer project” book: Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings. It’s 45 hours in audio. I’m about 2 hours inprobably need to relisten to the second hour bc I kept falling asleep. (Because I was tired, not because the book is boring.)

Just started this. Going through other random books in my personal time.

I was going to pick up this historical book about Pearl Harbor (“At Dawn We Slept”), but I just went through a historian’s slog about pre-Civil War (fun fact: both books were published after the principal author’s death with the help of assistants), and this one was even longer, 900+ pages, and Heavy. And First Edition.

Would suggest you not waste your time watching the related tv series than as it is not even as good as the book!

2 Likes

Yeah, I watched the show out of curiosity of how they handled the book.

Thanks, I love that sort of thing. (just wrote an article for the Stepping Stone on Julia Child)

1 Like

Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel. Might be hard for those who’ve lost someone they strongly loved but also might better identify with it, too.

Re-Reading “A Confederacy of Dunces” to see if I still find it humorous.

1 Like

I dug up a copy of it for the opposite reason (to see if I still don’t find it humorous, that is), but haven’t gotten around to starting it. Looking to see if it is still humorous seems better than looking to see if it’s not, as far as motivation goes.

I agree. I find it hilarious. I love Miss Trixie.

1 Like

People are polarized about “A Confederacy of Dunces”. I thought it was the funniest book I had ever read when I read it about 40 years ago. Maybe my tastes have changed since then (but probably not).