United States Presidential & Congressional Election 2024

Given that Pence and Pompeo are both trading at $0.04, that’s a pretty scathing indictment of Christie. I assume the market will become more efficient closer to when actual primaries start, because those are both crazy high prices.

I just saw my first commercial hit piece on DeSantis for 2024. It was paid for by a MAGA group. Sort of nuts to already be making ad buys attacking a guy that hasn’t announced he’s running yet.

It’s crazy how much the others are all dancing around the Trump indictment issue. If you want to be president and the current front runner is being charged with crimes, pile on criticism. If you are going to defend him, you may as well just campaign for Trump rather than yourself.

1 Like

The catch is that members of Trump’s fan club are believed to make up enough of the potential voter pool for the GOP that they can’t risk alienating them if they want to have a chance at the primaries.

It’s a shame since it costs the GOP of getting votes from those of us in the middle, who otherwise consider voting for some non-rabid Republicans…if any are still running for office.

Trump’s fan club is going to vote for Trump as long as he is in the race. The entire field is unable to say they are a better candidate than Trump…so again, why are they even in the race to begin with? I guess there is the non-zero chance Trump has to drop out for some reason, but is that really what they are going for?

1 Like

It’s a replay of 2016. None of the contenders other than Trump will be willing to drop out, and Trump will likely win as long as he doesn’t have to go head to head against one GOP opponent.

I think there is a window. “Trump had great policies but his behavior really grated on people. Trump is probably the only Republican who would lose to Biden in 2024. Get MAGA policies from someone who can win.”

1 Like

That’s why I’ll be voting for him in the GOP primary next year, unless a viable non-rabid Republican candidate emerges.

Still waiting for what these are. Something about woke, something about making liberals cry,… that sort of policy?

I’m not MAGA, so you probably aren’t asking the right person. I sometimes read comments on the Fox website, that one is roughly what I see from the people who are ready to move on from Trump.

I’ll say: Reduced taxes, reduced immigration, took a hard line with China (including tariffs), kept Putin from invading anyone, got three new SC justices whose rulings are anti-abortion, pro-gun, and pro-religion, cut regulations, reduced unemployment, defeated ISIS, quit Paris Climate Accords, increased military spending, told NATO countries they need to spend more money on their own militaries, rewrote NAFTA.

I think lots of Rs like all those things.

What do they consider the downside? “He is rude on Twitter”

2 Likes

Unemployment rate was 4.7% when he took office and 6.3% when he left office.

1 Like

I agree those are things that the Rs liked about Trump. I would add that there is a lot of showmanship in Trump overselling those accomplishments as the greatest ever or only things he could have done. He’s all about image/ marketing/ brand.

His challengers need to go after that brand and overhyped accomplishments as policy that fell well short of what they can offer with effective leadership that is not also is own worst enemy.

That’s if they actually want the Asa Hutchinson said Trump should drop out of the race. It’s a step in the right direction if he can turn it into a real message.

Remember that some R’s don’t think that’s Trump’s fault. [Red font]It’s apparently the fault of all the lib states that shut everything down for a variation of the flu.[/Red font] :roll_eyes:

1 Like

If you’re going to fact check what Rs like, then you should also point out that Obama got NATO countries to agree to spend more on their own militaries in response to Russia’s annexation of Crimea. (They agreed to large spending increases by 2024, much of Trump’s whining was that they hadn’t yet reached the 2024 levels in 2017.) And the SC justices are all about McConnell, not Trump. But facts aren’t the focus of political beliefs.

2 Likes

I was responding to what Trump policies the MAGA folk like, they don’t necessarily work with the same set of “facts” that you use.

In this case, they don’t think the CHINA Virus was Trump’s fault. The unemployment rate was 3.5% before the CHINA virus hit.

That reminds me, the Dow was about 20,000 when Trump took office and 30,000 when he left, even with that lib economic shutdown. Another win for Trump.

Markets value based upon expectations. There was a 10% increase from the date Trump lost to the date he left office.

I agree. It is a failing strategy to try to out Trump Trump. You have to to go against him and attacking him on his character his where to start. Comparing yourself to his policies and pointing out that he is a terrible person doesn’t seem to be too difficult to me.

That was mostly based on the announcement of the vaccines approval IMO. An expectation of normalcy returning.

But this is also due to Trump losing.

2 Likes

MAGA PACs are already out there knocking down other candidates. So, Anti-MAGA PACs need to start spending money in order to save the country from fascism.

1 Like