United States Presidential & Congressional Election 2024

Gotta get started sooner or later right? We may have a candidate next week.

Okay, I’ve been looking for a place to post this.

If I am given a choice between two candidates who share the same conservative values but one acts like an adult, has served in the military, and has proven himself to be a faithful husband and father, it is a “no brainer.”

Step aside Mr. President. I voted for you and have many fond memories of what you’ve done for us (not to mention much of your merchandise), but Governor DeSantis is much more personable, professional, and electable.

I added the italics. Where did I find this? FoxNews comments section responding to this article Trump breaks silence on DeSantis re-election victory in Florida governor race: 'I got more votes' | Fox News

This appears to be the “most liked” comment on this article – 154 thumbs up vs. 8 thumbs down. The other half dozen top comments are similar. (If you want to read the others, scroll way down to the comments, then sort by “best”.)

Certainly ready for people to act like adults. I think the trend has gone so far in one direction that society might start moderating because it literally can’t get much worse. Like we’re due for some mean reversion soon right? Maybe people start getting along better just because they can’t get along any worse.

On the D front, it’s time to drop “clever, brilliant, and polished.” In PA , Fetterman ran a fantastic campaign. The Everyman angle worked great. Gretchen Whitmore has a lot f those characteristics, here’s a description that rings true.

Gretchen Whitmer , a Democrat who just won re-election by an impressive margin in the key presidential battleground of Michigan, is Pabst Blue Ribbon with just the right measure of merlot. She “thinks like a general, looks like a ’40s film star and talks like she’s ice fishing for muskie,” Sarah Vowell wrote in The Times in August 2020. Vowell grouped Whitmer with Biden and several other nationally prominent politicians who, unlike every president since Jimmy Carter, graduated from public universities (in Whitmer’s case, Michigan State, both college and law school). She’s also the subject of an adoring song by the Detroit rapper GmacCash, “Big Gretch.” The nickname took, and it’s gold.

Wouldn’t it be refreshing to have someone under 65 to be POTUS?

3 Likes

Why in the world did you say that? Have you never watched a horror movie?

4 Likes

PBR mixed with merlot?
NPR nerd Sarah Vowell?
Like Biden and Jimmy Carter?
What?

I don’t generally trust comment sections because they are great targets for paid trolling, but that conmenter does at least appear real.

i do not expect trump to go quietly. while a normal politician might read the results and comments in the wake of them this week as telling, he is not in that cone. it is not in his nature (or what he has shown) to put anything in front of his own interests.

I think he will declare early to stick it to possible challengers. those challengers have day jobs that should mute their response for a while (like desantis, who just won reelection). he will spam the donors for funds to his PAC and not to the party sooner and constantly. he wants the money. he (mistakenly) thinks that being a declared candidate will shield him from legal trouble. if it doesn’t shield him then even better - he can fund raise off that witch hunt even easier. lastly, there is a faction of the base that will seemingly only support him or his annointed people and would rather see it all burn to the ground than show up and vote for someone he calls a rino or worse.

my 2 cents on the prospects.

1 Like

i agree. He will burn down the republican party, and the country, for any small hope of hanging onto power or, failing that, fundraising.

1 Like

I think he will do it to fatten his wallet with campaign contributions.

4 Likes

I read the top comments on a FoxNews article a few times a month. They generally sound like real people to me. However, I’d guess a paid troll is paid to sound like real people.

The like/dislike ratio on these comments is pretty extreme.

totally agree with @magillaG and @EimonGnome . basically, he’s in it for the money and the always large army of sycophants who will shower him with praise.

1. It’s a reference to social class. PBR vs Merlot. I should think that is pretty obvious.
  2. Well written, not any appeal to any endorsement.
  3. State university grads. Aren’t you even a bit tired of ivy leaguers holding the reins? They don’t seem to be very good at it.
  4. Hope that helps.

Again, Fetterman ran and won using this to gain PA. If you want to win elections, then you better not ignore white voters w/o university degrees. There’s just so darn many that you have to at least make it close in that demographic. Something Hillary never quite understood. Folksy works. Think Bush II, Bill Clinton, heck even Ronnie R. It works.

2 Likes

I kind of think Trump will be like the Iraq War. Sometime in our future no one will admit to supporting him.

Yeah, but that would involve having a platform that differs from “Own the Libs!”
And, for a lot of folks, that’s the only reason they vote.
I have no other explanation for Hershel Walker.

He can’t hear you, as he just went downstairs – damned light bulb is out again – to get some canned peaches.

1 Like

Yeah, but Merlot is the working class wine. How about Syrah or Cab Franc or Pinot Noir?

He might as well have said “I’ll be right back.”

I think most people want this. Desantis is not going to do it though. Have you seen his press conferences?

1 Like

Sort of, but still just a gross mix of images! Nobody wants to be Joe Biden or Jimmy Carter.

If you want to win elections, then you better not ignore white voters w/o university degrees. There’s just so darn many that you have to at least make it close in that demographic.

I agree, educated is a big part of the D base, just as uneducated is a big part of the R base, and it’s easy to over-focus on the base and weird out normal people.

Aren’t you even a bit tired of ivy leaguers holding the reins?

Eh, I’m a fan of Ivy Leaguers. Some are decent and personable, some are not.