Random questions

And, more on topic, to doggity!!!

WOOF!!! WOOF!!! Makes a pupperz saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. @Echo: Does the presence of rai-SINS in this world make you a saaaaaaaaaaaad pupperz??? :dog2:

Are raisins poisonous to squirrels?:dog:

If it poisons the dirty little beggars that shredded one of my window screens, then yes, I hope it gives them a slow, agonizing death!!! :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Is there a worst holiday music thread?

Can threads here be deleted by the OP?

At what age do flashlight holding lessons begin?

As soon as their old enough to hold a flashlight.

After they’ve seen Star Wars for the first time.

2 Likes

In movies when people say stuff like, “this metal isn’t on the periodic table” - what would that even mean? That it’s not made of protons/electrons/neutrons? That it has a fractional number of protons? It’s got more protons than anything we’ve encountered, is very radioactive, and should have decayed within nanoseconds?

1 Like

In the last option, I would consider that “on the periodic table”, just not a part of it we’ve gotten to yet.

I’ve never heard that particular line. Could it mean that it’s an alloy? Like brass or bronze. Those are metals that aren’t “on the periodic table” per se.

Just spitballing.

I suppose that “a part of the periodic table we haven’t gotten to yet” is also a possibility.

I heard it recently in “Man of Steel”. I can’t remember if it was said about vibranium in the Marvel movies. I know I’ve heard it in other movies but I can’t remember which ones exactly.

An alloy is possible, but the description of “not on the periodic table” seems like it would be describing something stranger than that. Maybe it’s also made of ions that we aren’t familiar with, but that feels similar to the alloys.

Reminds me of watching anything medical with a healthcare worker.

1 Like

i have reservations about sous vide

isn’t cooking with plastic dangerous?

anyway, don’t like cooking with plastic, especially the microwave

I like sous vide for 2 things in particular: steaks and boneless chicken breast.

For steaks it’s great to have the entire steak cooked exactly to everyone’s temperature preference. They are perfect every time.

Boneless chicken breast has a fine line between perfectly cooked and starting to dry out. Cooking it sous vide means it’s juicy every time. It’s handy to have some chicken breast to use in salads or other dishes.

Another thing I use it for: reheating leftover BBQ. Sous vide gently reheats it so it turns out very nicely even leftover.

2 Likes

Fish is a good candidate, too.

How do you do that for people with different preferences? Do you have multiple sous vide setups?

I don’t think you are heating it to a temperature where it could get dangerous. Very rarely do you even approach the boiling point of water.

Do them in descending order of preference. For example, sous vide the medium steaks first, reduce the temp, then throw the medium rare steaks in the bath.