Random questions

I’ve never heard that particular line. Could it mean that it’s an alloy? Like brass or bronze. Those are metals that aren’t “on the periodic table” per se.

Just spitballing.

I suppose that “a part of the periodic table we haven’t gotten to yet” is also a possibility.

I heard it recently in “Man of Steel”. I can’t remember if it was said about vibranium in the Marvel movies. I know I’ve heard it in other movies but I can’t remember which ones exactly.

An alloy is possible, but the description of “not on the periodic table” seems like it would be describing something stranger than that. Maybe it’s also made of ions that we aren’t familiar with, but that feels similar to the alloys.

Reminds me of watching anything medical with a healthcare worker.

1 Like

i have reservations about sous vide

isn’t cooking with plastic dangerous?

anyway, don’t like cooking with plastic, especially the microwave

I like sous vide for 2 things in particular: steaks and boneless chicken breast.

For steaks it’s great to have the entire steak cooked exactly to everyone’s temperature preference. They are perfect every time.

Boneless chicken breast has a fine line between perfectly cooked and starting to dry out. Cooking it sous vide means it’s juicy every time. It’s handy to have some chicken breast to use in salads or other dishes.

Another thing I use it for: reheating leftover BBQ. Sous vide gently reheats it so it turns out very nicely even leftover.

2 Likes

Fish is a good candidate, too.

How do you do that for people with different preferences? Do you have multiple sous vide setups?

I don’t think you are heating it to a temperature where it could get dangerous. Very rarely do you even approach the boiling point of water.

Do them in descending order of preference. For example, sous vide the medium steaks first, reduce the temp, then throw the medium rare steaks in the bath.

How does everyone eat at the same time? It takes some time for the steaks to cook.

Not a problem, as the sous vide makes the timing super flexible. Sous vide a typical medium 1" steak takes an hour-ish. Cut the temp, then give the medium rare steaks an hour too. Pull them all out at the same time to sear.

Since the steaks can bathe easily for 3-4 hours, you should be able to accomodate 3 levels of desired doneness if needed then sear them all at the same time.

So by reducing the temp, the medium steak will still be cooked to medium even if it then sits in a medium rare temp sous vide bath for another hour? And then that goes same for the medium and medium rare sitting for an hour in the rare temp sous vide bath?

I had never thought of that. Then everything comes out at the same time and is seared and served together. Interesting.

1 Like

Exactly! It works well.

I’ve started seeing quite a few trucks on the side of the road out in the outskirts of nowhere with homemade signs advertising “ammo”. Why have these suddenly popped up?

They are in similar locations where people have sold tamales or local honey for years, and where recently there would be trucks selling all sorts of trump merchandise.

Why the ammo all of a sudden though?

I assume despite Trump raving about Putin, now people are worried about Russians showing up on their doorstep.

not just russia. since covid hit and trump lost, the gun crazies have been amassing and hording amazing amounts of weapons and ammo. i think it is less related to russia than the others.

1 Like

It seems gun and ammo sales surge when power shifts from R to D but my guess was that ammo trucks suddenly appearing now are WWIII fears.

What’s the deal with the ice vending machines? There is one near my house and I see quite a few in the smaller towns. It seems you walk up, pay a few bucks, and get a bag of ice.

Convenience stores already sell ice. And some grocery stores. And, of course, you can make ice at home.

What is the economic story here? Are these people disrupting the ice market that convenience stores held? Is the ice somehow better? Is it poor people buying ice because they don’t have a fridge?

If standard poodles are a thing, doesn’t that mean there are also substandard poodles?

Or maybe it implies metric poodles?

Automatic poodles?

2 Likes