Random questions

We’ve discussed this before. Reverse sear is likely a good play for small cuts, like a steak or chop. But for roasts, the traditional method is better. It takes a really long time to heat the oven from moderate to hot when you have a big chunk-o-meat in it, and the timing is far more forgiving with the traditional method. I leave it on high until i get some nice browning, and then drop the temp and cook until it’s done. If i want supper to be sooner, i use a higher temperature than if i want it to be later, too. And it’s critical to leave half an hour for the roast to rest. (Not a big deal with steaks and chops, but it makes a huge difference for a roast.)

Also, most of my roasts are poultry, and i don’t want them to be pink.

embarrassing addendum

And finally, my husband doesn’t like rare beef or lamb. So when i am cooking a mammal roast, i need to cook some of it well done, or at least medium. It’s pretty convenient to give him the outside slices. If they aren’t cooked enough for his liking, i need to finish his portion in a frying pan.

There is no need to be embarrassed by your husband’s perfectly normal and reasonable preference.

Your wrong.

When I was younger, we would cook all meat well done. Medium rare beef and sushi were revelations!!! :cut_of_meat: :sushi: :yum:

:yum:

:face_vomiting:

Until I did the quoteback, I didn’t realize it wasn’t Dan.

1 Like

Dammit, JFG!!!

1 Like

I can understand mixing up lowercase letters p and b when writing by hand but why the hell do I do it sometimes when typing? Those keys aren’t near each other.

pecause you are a pad tybist?

1 Like

Heh, that was a minor part of the story in the book “Where’d You Go Bernadette?”

Character was at an internet cafe in Chile and the p’s and the b’s were packwards on her combuter keypoard and they charged py the minute and she only had a few dollars cash with her to exchange into besos. So she didn’t have time to tybe the p’s and b’s packwards or correct them pefore her time ran out so the reader just had to live with it. Pecause the pigger issue was that she was BREGNANT WITH HIS PAPY!!!

That’s interesting. I have been cooking prime top sirloin cap off roasts (7-9 pounds) recently, using a reverse sear. Trim, salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder rub, leave in fridge for a few hours. Take from fridge, put in oven at 200°F until internal hits 110°F. Rest to 115°F while heating oven to 500°F. Put back in, take out at 120-125°F for a nice rare to med rare. Last time I hit it perfectly, nice crust, beautiful even doneness with slight rim. I haven’t ever rested it 30 minutes, seems too long to me. They normally seem to stop increasing no later than 15 mins. Am I just too impatient?

If you want to play a joke on your coworkers, at least those who look at the keyboard when they type:

Switch the m and n keys. It’ll drive them mad.

(Years ago, I did this to a coworker. Turns out, her husband’s name is John, and John was part of all her passwords. So she couldn’t log into ANYTHING that day. I has having a jolly time listen to her curse the computer. Until I realized she was on hold with IT. Wasn’t sure what kind of flak I’d catch, so I had her hang up and I fessed up to the prank.)

Did she kill you?

Nope. We were always playing pranks on each other.

Another good one: fill up the work voice mail with like 25 short messages. She had to go through them all, just in case she had a ‘real’ message.

Or, way back when, I would take the ball out of the mouse.

Or, do the screen invert thing.

This is how it is done, for beef. Anyone doing differently is stubborn, perhaps a fussbudget.
I don’t even bother with checking the internal heat during the sear, mainly because my thermometer probe’s wires might get seared. The inside has been cooked to the right temp (though I’m more of a medium rare person for a ribeye or prime rib). The sear is for the outside, not the inside.

To answer your question, no. Heck, the beauty of the Reverse-Sear is that you can wait up to an hour or so before the sear step. Makes timing of the dinner much easier.
I have a couple of steaks in the oven right now. I’ll be reverse-searing with an extremely hot (600 degrees) cast iron pan. 45 seconds on both sides, per Alton Brown.

Sous-vide or GTFO

2 Likes

I’ll have to take your word for it. I know the food is sealed and all, but the idea of boiling my meat still grosses me out. I grew up in a home where a lot of meat was boiled and it’s a mental thing.

Also I don’t enjoy cooking enough to prolong the experience significantly.

I was a skeptic, and bought one when Amazon had a sale on the Anova, on a whim. There are times when I’ll cook a steak some other way, but 90% of the time they go in the water, you can’t beat a sous vide steak.

1 Like

You sure as hell can. Seared over rippin’ hot lump charcoal, man. It’s not even close.

Fish works great, too.

It’s not boiled, though. Just an alternative heat source. And, you can further sear it when you take it out of the bath.

1 Like

I’ve done that in my BGE at about a thousand degrees, and I’ve also tried the Alton Brown method of just searing using a charcoal chimney. It works… I think better if you want a rare steak. For medium steaks, which I prefer for some cuts, not so much.

I like sous vide, some days I sear on cast iron, some days I sear over charcoal.

Crap, I just made 1.5lb of sea bass, why didn’t I think of this?