News Articles that might make the Lounge thread

Texas to challenge SCOTUS ruling requiring states to educate all kids. While the initial target is undocumented kids, I’m 100% it won’t stop there.

LA introduces a bill to ban abortion from the moment of fertilization (under the penalty of a murder charge for the pregnant person), which means most IUDs become illegal since they can prevent a fertilized egg from implanting.

That’s a big chip. But i stand by what i said. I don’t think any state will totally outlaw contraception, and i expect condoms will remain legal for adults in all the states.

I expect most states still have laws that require women to have their husband’s permission to get the pill or other forms of contraception, and those laws will be enforcing is certain states the instant Griswold is overturned. Just like gay marriage will be illegal in 30 states (and DOMA will be in effect again) as soon as Obergefell is overturned.

The real elephant in the room is they nearly have enough statehouses to call a Constitutional Convention.

2 Likes

Awesome news — if 15-20 years too late to help me.

That’s really neat. I wonder whether they get live or dead donors. I suspect there are a lot of people with a normal uterus who don’t ever plan on using it and would be willing to give it up. Maybe not to a stranger, but to a sister or a close friend. I think fewer would be comfortable giving up part of the vagina, though.

To be fair, there are trans men that a fair number of don’t want anything to do with any of it. :wink:

Not quite news, but my daughter is a genetic counsellor. The company is organising a management conference and suggested Dallas because it’s a hub and they have staff travelling from across the us and Canada.
All the counsellors said nope, explicitly because of all the transgender stuff going on in Texas.
So now they’re holding their conference somewhere else that’s not Texas.

That shit don’t hold with a bunch of genetic scientists trained in counselling. My daughter least of all.

3 Likes

The important takeaway here is that I’m going to get to watch another season of Umbrella Academy with Elliot Page. I thought perhaps the transition would be problematic for continuing the series. Nope, looks like we’re good to go!

More seriously, it is great that the show will continue, because Elliot’s transition while playing a female character could’ve been super weird. They seem happy with their transition from what I’ve read, they get to continue their career, and the rest of us get to continue to enjoy their work. Good news all around.

2 Likes

People who care more about hate.

https://iowastartingline.com/2022/07/13/whats-happening-with-the-vinton-public-library/

1 Like
2 Likes

Florida bars coverage under Medicaid for gender affirming care. I wonder if this could affect the private health insurance market there as well.

Just a matter of time. If Republicans get control of Congress, I expect a national ban on insurance covering GA care to be in the budget, daring Biden to veto.

Also, to be clear, this is highly illegal and unenforceable if we had a real court system.

Does Congress even have jurisdiction outside of paying via medicare/medicaid? Assuming Health is like P&C and regulated state by state, it would be up to the individual DOIs?

At a minimum they could make it an ACA requirement. Between that and medicare, it would be devastating to the care most trans people could get. They could also make health systems that provide GA care ineligible for medicare reimbursement.

Good news? In this thread?

4th circuit rules that the ADA protects transgender people from discrimination:

1 Like

Seen on Twitter and it made me chuckle:

“If you have a truck with balls hanging from it, and your truck wasn’t born with balls, and you put the balls on an elective process, you have a trans truck. Congratulations”

6 Likes

Boston Children’s Hospital has been under attack with death threats sent to doctors and medical staff because well-known fascist Chaya Raichik has been spreading lies that they do surgery on minors.

Ugh. That’s depressing.