News Articles that might make the Lounge thread

Cis girl accused of being trans because she was a better athlete.

1 Like

GOP has introduced a bill that shows where this is going if they ever get power:

• ban on gender affirming care entirely for teenagers
  • ban on insurance coverage for all transgender care
  • ban on colleges/medical school teaching about gender affirming care

This the same day JAMA released a study that shows a 73% reduction in suicidality among trans kids that get GAHC.

I’m just sad and tired y’all.

2 Likes

This bill is not longer in effect due to a temporary restraining order. Too bad it came too late for the girl in question.

There’s a trans woman in SW Ontario that got swatted for being trans. She had to move to a hotel to escape, then her new location was outed. So now she’s talking about leaving Canada entirely.
It’s bad news and unfortunate, but if there’s a silver lining, the police are actively going after the people that did the swat.and hopefully that investigation puts some pressure on the people that harassed her after her move. I expect/hope that some charges result from this.
The news indicates that she’s a controversial and inflammatory streamer on the subject of being trans, but at least doesn’t suggest that’s a valid reason for what’s going on.
And as I type that, I’m thinking that we will know we are finally done with these things when she’s no longer seen as trans, but instead seen as someone who used to be trans, and is now just a woman.

There is no used to be trans.

I’ll always be trans – it’s an adjective. The place we want to be is the fact that “Alyssa is trans” should be as uninteresting as “Matt is left handed.”

As far as keffals, yeah, her case is scary, and I hope she is able to stay safe. As far as leaving Canada, it sounds like it’s a temporary thing. And she’s putting on a full court press along with other trans activists to try to have KiwiFarms (a notorious right wing he anti trans doxxing site) taken off the DNS system, so hopefully some good comes from it.

Well I admittedly have my own thoughts on this. I view trans people as male/female born in the wrong meat suit. So shifting from male skin to female skin or vice versa doesn’t change what they are. So, ‘im female, and born in a female meat suit’ or ‘female but used to be housed in a male meat suit’, both end up as just female. The difference is one used to look male, but doesn’t any longer. In that case, trans becomes past tense.
Maybe not perfect, but its a decent working definition for me.

That’s not how it works, sorry. It’s great if that works internally for you, but you should expect a lot of trans people to take offense (with reason) if you ask them when they will done being trans.

Well, I don’t ask people that lol. I leave them be wrt to that stuff. Other than here, and only because you’re actively conversing about this stuff. folks have enough shit to deal with without me being unintentionally provocative. I’m happy if they just live in peace.

1 Like

Ok, that works then! Just making sure. :smile:

Fucking terrorists.

And the reason a few gay men are insanely promiscuous is because they can be, the same way a non-trivial fraction of super-popular male athletes are insanely promiscuous. When monkeypox shows up at daycare, are they going to want to lock up families with small children? Actually, don’t answer that, no, they’ll want to close all the daycares and force mothers out of the workforce. Duh.

It’s terrifying that someone like that is a major party candidate.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/wfkars/status/1568407754120765440?s=46&t=wYAebe29AXfui07VzSNsRw

Once again, this is a children’s hospital. This is where children who are sick or injured receive care. It happens to be the hospital where I sometimes work, but that particular aspect isn’t what bothers me.

They are threatening. To bomb. A children’s hospital.

Yadda yadda, all lives matter, save the babies, yadda. People really are the worst.

1 Like

University of Waterloo looking at changing more bathrooms over to non-gender specific. From a recent email:

As many of you are aware, signs have recently been posted on washrooms throughout the campus related to an Inclusive Washroom Project. This University-led project is related to ongoing work of the Glow Centre, WUSA, and the EDI-R Office to increase access to gender-inclusive washroom spaces in our campus buildings.
I understand that more detailed communications about the Project are forthcoming and that receiving the information in advance of the posting of the signs would have been preferable. However, in response to some questions and concerns, the Faculty has reached out to the EDI-R Office and can confirm the following information:
There is a project underway to increase access to gender-inclusive washroom spaces; one cost-effective way to achieve that goal is through the conversion of some existing gendered washrooms
Signs have been posted on the doors of washrooms that have been identified as potential candidates to convert to gender-inclusive washrooms due to location, size, and other factors.
No decisions have been made to convert any washrooms at this time. All washrooms that are currently signed as gender-specific washrooms remain gendered at this time. Having said this, independent of this project, all individuals have the right to utilize the washroom of the gender with which they identify.

they should just change them all over and be done with it. it’s the rational thing to do (not the change, but the result).

1 Like

Scotland overwhelmingly supports transgender rights, and UK government threatens to step in. Wonder if this could finally start leading to Scotland pulling out of the UK.

Posting here instead of the standard RIP thread. RIP Rachel Pollack

Google has a lot of gender neutral bathrooms on their local campus. They are exactly like a gender-specific bathroom, except the stalls provide better privacy.

That can’t be an expensive conversion.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a catastrophic bill. I have multiple online friends from FL all got letters that their care is suspended until the clinic can figure out a process to have MD do all the prescribing.