DeSantis is a Fascist

Yeah, I’m probably confusing it with the violence side.

aren’t we all…

1 Like

This seems like an appropriate place for this:

One publisher created multiple versions of its social studies material, softening or eliminating references to race — even in the story of Rosa Parks — as it sought to gain approval in Florida

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1636351000796712960?t=WfyA74OfolfPGne-MudaTQ&s=19

“Rosa Parks is a woman who rode a bus”, right?

2 Likes

Whitewashed/snowflake version here for those with an aversion to twitter

How you can mention Rosa Parks without mentioning race is… ugh, I don’t even know.

The second one at least acknowledges race in a roundabout way. And actually “enslaved people” is perhaps more accurate. Isn’t there a story about an African-American man who a restaurant refused service to… until the next day when the exact same person showed up at the exact same restaurant decked out in African-looking clothing. Assuming he was some sort of important ambassador or businessman visiting all the way from Africa, the restaurant was then only too happy to serve him.

But even so… to not mention race…

Because Florida Law. Specifically the Stop W.O.K.E. Act. Can’t have snowflakes feel bad.

Here are the before and after the company submitted to comply with the Act.

1 Like

The second section replaced “african american” with “certain groups” despite it being one very specific group.

So apparently there were a bunch of cops at the Orlando drag show, and they witnessed … wait for it … nothing.

But while agents took photos of three minors — who appeared to be accompanied by adults — at the Orlando drag show, they acknowledged that nothing indecent had happened on stage, according to an incident report obtained exclusively by the Miami Herald.

“Besides some of the outfits being provocative (bikinis and short shorts), agents did not witness any lewd acts such as exposure of genital organs,” the brief report stated. “The performers did not have any physical contact while performing to the rhythm of the music with any patrons.”

4 Likes

Sounds like they did not break the law.

I don’t have a mainstream news source, but a bill in Florida just made it out of committee today which if read literally would ban insurance coverage for mastectomies, including for breast cancer patients. This was pointed out during the debate in committee. The goal of the bill is to ban gender affirming care for teenagers, and ban insurance coverage of it for adults, and the problem for cis women comes into how they define that. Presumably that will be fixed before the full Florida house votes on the bill, but that’s a pretty big screw up.

1 Like

Also could ban prostatectomies. Crazy stuff.

1 Like

Disney made for TV movie Ruby Bridges got removed from Pinellas FL schools. Doesn’t depict white supremacists as kind so they feel bad.

3 Likes

Cleansing the schools of woke content.

Does that include cleansing the school of any dictionaries that give a definition of the word “woke”?

1 Like

During debate on the `Don’t Say Gay’ bill, having it only apply through 3rd grade was a recurring argument in favor of the bill. Turns out it now applies through 12th grade, with no law change. Just the Board of Education expanding it.

Exceptions are made for items expressly required by state academic standards, or for sex ed (with parents allowed to opt out). I just read a 2 page PDF of state requirements for coverage of the holocaust, and homosexuals are not expressly included in it (it says things like “European Jews and other groups” without naming the groups). So you arguably can’t even teach that homosexuals were targeted during the holocaust.

1 Like

I got to thinkin. I don’t think the ban on saying gay should stop at 12th grade. Let’s extend it a bit more…say to the Governor’s mansion. Just make it illegal for him to talk about it again.

I mean, is he seriously using this issue to win the presidency? Somewhere along the way, he’s going to get asked how he can handle Putin and Xi when he can’t even handle Mickey Mouse.

DeSantis is about as charismatic as Jeb Bush and Rick Perry, and has all sorts of clearly visible insecurities (e.g., having screens at the bottom of the stage so the audience can’t see the high heels on his boots. Or perhaps I should just go with wearing high heel boots b/c he’s insecure about his height). His campaign is toast as soon as the debates start, if it even gets that far.

1 Like

“First, they came after the homosexuals in the History books, and I did nothing…”

1 Like