United States Congressional & Gubernatorial 2022 elections

Is there any one person you think has a decent chance?

I heard 3,200 uncounted mail-ins, forget what county. Decent chance we get a recount and don’t know for a couple of weeks?

Yeah that’s crazy. Makes it more dramatic.

Twice if you count the women’s tournament.

The state elections in Michigan seem to be one of the less talked about but bigger stories of the election. Whitmer came away with a solid win and democrats took control of the entire state government. In spite of the headwinds from inflation and a midterm that should have given Republicans a big advantage.

I think whitmer should be given a lot of credit for this. Mallory McMorrow looks like a rising star in the party.

Shapiro looks like a strong win as well for the party in Pennsylvania. I think they are seeing something similar there, hopefully that can continue under Shapiro.

Disappointing to see wisconsin go for johnson in the senate, so more work to do there, but it at least looks like the ground work and finding quality candidates in these states is paying off.

Hopefully Republicans really take notice from the election and pivot as well.

1 Like

DeSantis reaffirmed his proud anti-wokeness in his victory speech…Florida certainly seems like it is the epicenter of anti-wokeness in the form of book banning and other nonsense. McMorrow had a great speech on the floor of the Michigan state capitol earlier this year that rejected this anti-woke mentality very effectively. Hoping that type of messaging can catch on and neutralize DeSantis and his nonsense. 2022 might be peak DeSantis, which unfortunately for him was not a presidential election year.

I think peak DeSantis is yet to come. 2022 just demonstrated we’re past peak Trump.

2 Likes

<3. Do we have an alternate history thread for this?

My usual dark thinking process goes that we wouldn’t know or care if Lincoln was alive today. He just happened to represent the biggest issue in our history. But if he presided at some other time, representing any other issue, nobody would remember him. Nor was he particularly successful. It doesn’t matter that he was a great man, he couldn’t prevent the war at all. In fact we hated him so much we murdered 600k of our own people for nothing. There was no stopping it.

And the Gettysburg Address is a depressing reminder of that fact. He points out that 20k died for equality, and pointedly doesn’t mention the 30k men gave up their lives to prevent equality. Of course those 30k confederates didn’t know they were dying for evil, no doubt they thought they were dying for some other Christian cause, which excuses them in a way, but also makes the whole situation more depressing. All in all, a disgusting reminder that mankind is guided mostly by tribalism and ideology, and hardly at all by Righteousness.

…Anyway. That’s not entirely to contradict you. I agree that Biden is no Lincoln lol.

4 Likes

Trying to think of a speech (may have even been Obama…) that highlighted the notion that America hasn’t been and isn’t perfect, but the point is the strive to continuously work towards our ideals of freedom, equality, democracy, etc.

2 Likes

The Newsroom?

I find it hilarious seeing conservatives genuinely question their candidate quality, or what issues would have made a difference, seemingly ignorant of the mass of voters who support progressivism with theological fervor, regardless of any issue or candidate. The POTUS literally gave a speech saying the future of democracy was at stake in the midterm election. That kind of absurd rhetoric is emblematic of progressive dogma and I do wonder if you’re right that the GOP will recognize this and tighten up and increase the alarmism within their own rhetoric. Getting control of the House and being able to direct alarmist committees would help with that, but I’m not sure they’re even going to control the House lol.

Yeah that’s a very Obama thing to say.

One example might be his farewell address?

AUDIENCE: Four more years! Four more years! Four more years!

THE PRESIDENT: I can’t do that.

AUDIENCE: Four more years! Four more years! Four more years!

THE PRESIDENT: This is where I learned that change only happens when ordinary people get involved and they get engaged, and they come together to demand it.

After eight years as your President, I still believe that. And it’s not just my belief. It’s the beating heart of our American idea — our bold experiment in self-government. It’s the conviction that we are all created equal, endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable rights, among them life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It’s the insistence that these rights, while self-evident, have never been self-executing; that We, the People, through the instrument of our democracy, can form a more perfect union.

What a radical idea. A great gift that our Founders gave to us: The freedom to chase our individual dreams through our sweat and toil and imagination, and the imperative to strive together, as well, to achieve a common good, a greater good.

For 240 years, our nation’s call to citizenship has given work and purpose to each new generation. It’s what led patriots to choose republic over tyranny, pioneers to trek west, slaves to brave that makeshift railroad to freedom. It’s what pulled immigrants and refugees across oceans and the Rio Grande. (Applause.) It’s what pushed women to reach for the ballot. It’s what powered workers to organize. It’s why GIs gave their lives at Omaha Beach and Iwo Jima, Iraq and Afghanistan. And why men and women from Selma to Stonewall were prepared to give theirs, as well. (Applause.)

So that’s what we mean when we say America is exceptional — not that our nation has been flawless from the start, but that we have shown the capacity to change and make life better for those who follow. Yes, our progress has been uneven. The work of democracy has always been hard. It’s always been contentious. Sometimes it’s been bloody. For every two steps forward, it often feels we take one step back. But the long sweep of America has been defined by forward motion, a constant widening of our founding creed to embrace all and not just some. (Applause.)

If I had told you eight years ago that America would reverse a great recession, reboot our auto industry, and unleash the longest stretch of job creation in our history — (applause) — if I had told you that we would open up a new chapter with the Cuban people, shut down Iran’s nuclear weapons program without firing a shot, take out the mastermind of 9/11 — (applause) — if I had told you that we would win marriage equality, and secure the right to health insurance for another 20 million of our fellow citizens — (applause) — if I had told you all that, you might have said our sights were set a little too high. But that’s what we did. (Applause.) That’s what you did.

You were the change. You answered people’s hopes, and because of you, by almost every measure, America is a better, stronger place than it was when we started. (Applause.)

In 10 days, the world will witness a hallmark of our democracy.

AUDIENCE: Nooo —

THE PRESIDENT: No, no, no, no, no — the peaceful transfer of power from one freely elected President to the next. (Applause.) I committed to President-elect Trump that my administration would ensure the smoothest possible transition, just as President Bush did for me. (Applause.) Because it’s up to all of us to make sure our government can help us meet the many challenges we still face.

3 Likes

I know you want to believe that insurrections happen everyday.

1 Like

What on earth are you talking about?

And I get that you think it’s totally normal and common and reasonable for 40% of America to be dead wrong about who won the presidential election.

But the rest of us are dealing with some crazy shit that has never happened before.

2 Likes

Okay, but why does that mean “Democracy is at stake” in the midterm elections? Explain yourself. You don’t get to just lean on this dogma as incontrovertible lol.

1/6 was just a normal tourist visit.

2 Likes

The midterms are when we vote on representatives who violate democracy by “finding” votes and signing “competing” slates of electors.

4 Likes

In 1983, leftist nutjobs bombed the US Capitol (not a normal tourist visit), Fort McNair and the DC Naval Yard. Was Democracy at stake in subsequent elections? I mean, maybe so, but I don’t recall that being discussed or ever thinking that myself. The fact that Bill Clinton commuted sentences of a couple of the terrorists seems to indicate it was not.

The difference is that about 99.9% of think believe those people were wrong. While in this case, about 40% of people think the terrorists were right.

4 Likes