DeSantis is a Fascist

Rules, schmules.

Main thing I don’t get is that they haven’t yet revoked the law that makes it illegal for the sitting governor of Florida to run for President, even though everyone agrees that they will. What’s the advantage of waiting?

1 Like

Florida has passed new curriculum guidelines that kinda suck.

Some highlights:

Rep. Anna Eskamani, D-Orlando, pointed to part of the middle-school standards that would require instruction to include “how slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.”

Thompson cited part of the high-school standards requiring instruction that “includes acts of violence perpetrated against and by African Americans but is not limited to 1906 Atlanta Race Riot, 1919 Washington, D.C. Race Riot, 1920 Ocoee Massacre, 1921 Tulsa Massacre and the 1923 Rosewood Massacre.”

Thompson’s Senate district includes Ocoee, where Black people were killed on election day in 1920 by a mob of white residents. The violence took place after Moses Norman, an African American resident, was denied the right to vote.

Thompson objected to wording in the standards that said violence was perpetrated “by” African Americans.

“When you look at the history currently, it suggests that the massacre was sparked by violence from African Americans. That’s blaming the victim. When in fact, it was other individuals who came into the Black community and killed individuals, burned homes and schools and lodges,” Thompson said.

1 Like

Must be a good quote from 1984, Brave New World or Fahrenheit 451 that could be inserted here?

I think he completely misses the point. It’s not just that the law implies blaming the victim. The way the wording is, it sounds like they can focus on events that fall into the “by” category and avoid those “against”.

DeSantis channeling Churchill.

He’ll probably have better luck with Hitler’s speeches

4 Likes

DeSantis wants to sue bud-lite, because they accidentally let a trans-person drink a beer, which outraged Kid Rock, which caused millions of fat old white guys to drink some other piss, which tanked the stock, which the State of Florida is invested in for some reason, which doesn’t really mean anything at all.

Tldr, DeSantis needs to get in the news, so he uses the power of the Government to hate trans people.

2 Likes

And InBev stock price is up 8% from 7/20/22 to 7/20/23. Yes, it’s down from the peak, but it is hardly the biggest problem in the Florida pension portfolio.

1 Like

Facts are irrelevant. It’s the invaluable opportunity to grandstand that really matters.

4 Likes

The important thing is that we all agree the government should control advertising decisions by multinational corporations.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who sees this as thinly veiled racism? How is this even possible? Why should we spend a lot of time trying to parse out why the USA has a mediocre rating on whether it’s an excellent place to live in? USA struggles in carrying everyone along. The problem of carrying everyone along is one of the real issues at the centre of most political debates between the left and the right.

Edit: To reference post I am referring to.

What part of this do you think is thinly veiled?

4 Likes

Curtains are wide open on this one IMO.

1 Like

I think they responded to the wrong post.

It’s hard to follow who you’re responding to. You could use the Quote Post (top left icon) to include the post you are referencing to give us better context.

I was referring to the changing of school curriculum to include acts “by” black people. This is an action that will alienate blacks rather than put to bed issues that are divisive.

1 Like

Maybe AB will close down their Jacksonville FL brewery due to the decline in Bud Light sales. Never seen a politician so enthusiastic about killing jobs in his state. Maybe there is a reason he is polling well behind Trump.

Didn’t DeSantis change the investment management of the funds to friends and political donors and it’s severely underperformed since?

Thinly veiled? It’s outright racists.

1 Like

You know what burns my bottom is that we have had our values eroded to the lowest level by some people going for a power grab. The word “woke” is a derogatory term used to make an ad hominem attack on social liberals. The alternative they have is this nonsense?