Democrats Say the Darndest Things!

I’m just trying to understand the severity of the POTUS deleting a Tweet.

I’m not so sure that we should be using the prior president’s actions as excuses/justification for the current or future presidents’ actions.

Considering the nature of some of the prior president’s actions, that would probably be the slipperiest slope in American history.

2 Likes

It’s less severe than taking classified documents home to show off to your buddies.

3 Likes

Yeah, I figured. Just trying to find the appropriate level of outrage I should feel on the range of nothingburger to sedition / treason.

Twitter raises new questions.

Is the copy of the tweet on twitter a “presidential record”, or is the memo or email or whatever on government servers or gov’t paper the "presidential record?

If twitter decides to take down a tweet, have they destroyed a government document?

It twitter keeps copies of tweets on backup files even after the user specifies the public can’t see them, do they still exist?

1 Like

Great post. These are the key questions that should be answered before launching down the rod.

1 Like

Tons of tweets, which yes, means that this issue has already been discussed in detail.

My random guess (and NARA appears to agree?) is that it’s okay to delete tweets as long as they are also preserved by the White House and sent to the Archive.

That said, it’s a newish issue, and probably needs to be challenged in court for anyone to be sure. There were a lot of incidents during the last presidency, but the last presidency was such a massive clusterfuck that I don’t think anyone had time to litigate this.

2 Likes

Looks like there’s a decent chance that we will have another opportunity to pursue the matter. :sob:

Democratic Senator Mark Kelly says Dems don’t even come close to understanding the situation at the border. He also notes many Republicans just use to score political points and they don’t understand either.

Quite the paraphrase of the actual quote. Changed the meaning entirely. Bravo!

The actual quote is about understanding peoples frustrations.

“Not even close,” the senator said when asked if Democrats have recognized people’s frustrations with border security.

2 Likes

Wondering where the darndest part is.

3 Likes

? Yes, the question he responded “Not even close” to was about frustrations, but he goes on to say more than that.

When I first got to Washington, it didn’t take me long to realize that there are a lot of Democrats who don’t understand our southern border and a lot of Republicans who just want to talk about it. Don’t necessarily want to do anything about it, just want to use it politically.

I’m still not seeing a darndest part, but I’m not sure Nick P misrepresented his actual words.

1 Like

Perhaps an unspoken assumption about party people not talking badly about their own party?
“Democrats Say the Darndest Truths.”

Well now that the Republicans won the House I’m sure we’ll see their comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill in January.

2 Likes

Just thought it was a good share. Something we can all agree on. The border is complicated and highly political. The highly political part means that the highly complicated part is almost an impossible obstacle to overcome.

Need a definition of “darnedest” (the actual spelling).

Ah: means “used to emphasize the surprising nature of something.”
So, I take it that you were surprised that the Democrat said somewhat disparaging but truthful things about Democrats? That’s a feature, not a bug.

1 Like

Maybe didn’t deserve it’s own thread and didnt know where else to put it.

1 Like

Maybe we need a thread for when a politician says something refreshingly honest.

I expect there will be so few entries that we won’t need to separate by party, but I suppose we could.

The Mark Kelly quote would be a fine entry.

2 Likes

There’s this one.

Yeah, I thought of that one. But I think “refreshingly honest” is a little different from “somewhat intelligent” although Ranger may have been conflating the two.

1 Like