Anyone interesting in playing Codenames?

Is it too late? I’d like to play… maybe RP.

snoorp FTW!

1 Like

Nope, you’re in. And anyone else is still welcome.

And it’s time to tell me if you prefer cluing or guessing. If you’ve never played before, you might prefer guessing.

@soyleche
@BruteForce
@Tiffany
@Rastiln
@IPD
@Snake
@snoo

If more than two people want to clue, i will roll dice. If fewer than two people want to clue, i will clue for one team.

Please let me know by Monday, noon, eastern time. I’ll kick off the early in the afternoon eastern time. I’ll start a new thread for the actual game, with the words and what’s been guessed at the top.

I enjoy both - putting my lot in as spymaster, but please boot me to guesser if somebody on my team also chooses spymaster.

Here’s the thread for the actual game.

Once we have teams and spymasters, i will update the posts to indicate who is on each team, and who are the spymasters. I will also share a DM containing the spymaster information with the spymasters.

I suggest that each team pick a rotation for guessers, and have some backup in case the designated guesser is unavailable.

Teams (excluding the spymaster) can speculate “out loud”, in the thread, or can “whisper”, via DM. I’ll create the group DMs.

I don’t know how to create a grid, and i don’t think i can actually make the text red or blue. So let me know if you’d prefer i alphabetize the lists.

Once the game starts in not reordering it, though.

same as this for me

Probably best for me to be a guesser this time around.

I think that there are sites that can be used to facilitate the grid. Perhaps sharing a screen shot of that site could be done?

Honestly, that seems like more trouble than it’s worth. This is going to play fine with just the way technology

If you make a grid in excel* and copy it over it will automatically format it for you. You might have to play around with getting headers and what not to work exactly like you want them to, but the main structure works.

*actually - I just tested with Google Sheets since I don’t have excel on this computer, but I assume it works the same.

I want a simple object that is easy to edit to update for new information. And I want to be able to do it from both my work computer and my own hardware, which rules out Google sheets and excel.

There isn’t any information in the grid, it’s just an easy way to assign colors to the words, and for the spymasters to see which words are theirs.

I’m going to stick to a list. If this is popular and the next person wants to get fancier, they can.

Once the grid has been built by copying it in from excel it shouldn’t be too difficult to edit it as needed. The code is simple enough - just a bit of a pain to put together originally.

Can you not access google sheets from your work hardware?

I’d prefer to start out as a guesser to get the hang of the format.

Correct, my employer does not allow us to access Google sheets.

VA generously gave me a grid-formatted version of the words, and if there’s popular demand i can use it. But i think it will be easier to update information known about the words in a list than in a grid.

I cannot.

Nor get to anything in Google Docs.

Wat. My work computer is my only desktop anymore… sitting next to my home-built tower. But anyway.

I’m happy to just use

Word
Word (B)
Word (N)
Word
Word (R)

This is exactly the format i propose. I think it will be clear, and easy to read and to update. I’ll probably also italicize all the words that have been guessed.

1 Like

Maybe its better to bold the words that haven’t been guessed, and are still in play.

1 Like