Wtf/wtg science

I was planning on a pie chart for @meep

1 Like

mmm. pie sounds good

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: :unamused:

FINALLY, the chat-bots are better at Pre-Algebra than the kids.

Hereā€™s how computers got better:

1. Read the entire internet. 17%
  2. SHOW YOUR WORK 54%.
  3. Use a calculator??? 57%
  4. Read every Arvix Paper (LaTex) 58%
  5. TRY DIFFERENT WAYS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM??? 78%.
  6. CHECK EACH STEP. 82%

The average Kid gets a score of like 60%.

(If you canā€™t tell, what amuses me is that super extreme state-of-the-art Machine Learning sounds like SAT prep.)

SAT prep doesnā€™t give credit for ā€œclose enoughā€ answers, whereas machine learning rewards it significantly

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by that. This is a chat-bot. Itā€™s not really trained to do math at all. Itā€™s trained to guess the next word in a sentence, similar to autofill on the phone. It just sort of happens you can apply that to middle-school math (and anything really).

Anyway, itā€™s also amusing to me that you can make a supercomputer smarter by handing it a calculator.

Picking your nose may increase risk of Alzheimerā€™s???

[or] people with elevated Alzheimerā€™s risk are more prone to booger filled noses

1 Like

Once again, Iā€™m more curious about the methodology.

It looks like they:
somehow? know a bacteria can cause dementia symptoms,

Just discovered somehow? that it travels up mouse noses into mouse brains?

And somehow also know itā€™s more common with damaged noses?

Which is somehow? tied to nose picking.

Will have to read more!

The incredible edible egg white;

munanvalkuainen

https://pdf.fivefilters.org/makepdf.php?v=2.6&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.helsinkitimes.fi%2Fthemes%2Fthemes%2Fscience-and-technology%2F22494-researchers-find-new-way-to-remove-microplastics-from-water.html&api_key=&mode=multi-story&output=pdf&template=A4&images=1&date=1&sub=&title=Your+Personal+Newspaper&order=desc&date_start=&submit=Create

I donā€™t think we have that many eggs.
And think of all that chicken shit to process.

we already have too many fucking chickens

Meta has also been active in AI recently. They have an AI that can now solve 10 math olympiad problems?

They also publicly released a new LLM that kicks ass at science and math and logic problems!
Itā€™s even not very toxic!!!

ā€¦And then took it down two days later.

Because despite being more accurate and less racist, itā€™s still inaccurate and racist.

Metaā€™s Chief AI scientist unironically tweeted a comment that describes the entire internet:

ā€œGalactica demo is off line for now. Itā€™s no longer possible to have some fun by casually misusing it. Happy?ā€

1 Like

Take that, math-phobes! Your brain is doing math you canā€™t even think about, even though itā€™s thinking about it, which you canā€™t, but it does!!

2 Likes

1 Like

I do often think you spend so much time in math class on what you can do with equations when you have them and so comparatively little time on how you might come up with those equations in real life.

Every time I go up a hill and observe my carā€™s instantaneous(-ish) MPG drop, Iā€™m thinking there is some math that explains it.
ā™ŖIā€™ve looked at hills, that way.ā™Ŗ

itā€™s all about machine learning now no one cares about y=mx+b

How much do you know about machine learning algorithms?

too much