Wtf/wtg science

Fusion!

https://twitter.com/OilSheppard/status/1602002974871785472?t=Unq7qSSJzESaejwuTm6eJQ&s=19

Edited: for some reason a direct link puts this behind a paywall for me. But a twitter link is not paywalled

Whoaā€¦this could be big

Science!

He turned back toward the window
Crushed out his cigarette
Faded off to sleep
And somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even

1 Like

NYT article clarifies this is for fusion created using lasers. The amount of energy released during fusion is equal to the energy from the laser that creates the fusion. This is much less than the energy needed to power the laser, since much of that energy becomes heat.

A lot of fusion is done in tokamaks, these donut shaped devices that use alternating magnetic field to contain the plasma that creates fusion. I think most people envision fusion as a power source would come from that kind of setup.

Evidently the laser setup is used to research hydrogen bombs without actually testing them.

2 Likes
1 Like

The short video in the article is worth watching as well.

1 Like

There was a ā€œ60 Minutesā€-type story on this type of surgery where the dude gal was awake during surgery & playing the violin. Iā€™ll see if I can find it: Doctors Perform Brain Surgery To Remove Tumor While Patient Plays Violin - CBS Philadelphia Ah, yes, it was for a tumor.

Sounds like a metaphor for abortion.

Arenā€™t people generally kept awake during brain surgery? On TV they always have someone there asking them questions to make sure something isnā€™t going wrong.

Current results of training stable diffusion on fMRI scans of people looking at pictures.

Hereā€™s a story about it:
AI can read your mind! Researchers use AI to generate images based on people's brain activity - TechStory.

if my thought dreams could be seen
theyā€™d probably put my head in a guillotine
but itā€™s alright ma

2 Likes

If implemented, Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t end badly.

1 Like

Fun with numbers. Well at least fun with some numbers, the rest are just boring.

1 Like

The story about the cab ride and 1,729 being the smallest number that is the sum of two cubes expressed two different ways was told in the book Innumeracy, IIRC. Iā€™ve certainly heard it before, and I think thatā€™s where.

1 Like

I know from chapter 1729 of Rivka Galchenā€™s sweet childrenā€™s book.

Gpt-4 is built. Outperforms chat on every test by a decent margin. Crushes AP exams and professional exams. Still struggles with math, and being honest.

Once again, the scary thing about AI is not how amazing it is, but how quickly it improves.

One very obvious concern is how easy it will be to use these buggers to cheat on exams and classes. But thatā€™s just the most blunt tip of the existential iceberg imo.

Certainly improves more than humans.

Iā€™m not sure humans are even improving.