Worldle / WhereTaken / WhenTaken

not today. never close (not within 2000 miles), even though I scrolled through the list of countries somehow I overlooked it. Had I thought about that country, I surely would have taken it.

First thought Oh noes, an island! Size small since you can see the airport on the SE edge. Not Macao since just had that as neighbor and airport on sw, land n&w. I actually thought of Malta but thought it had only 1 island. The only Pacific choice i could come up with with two neighboring islands was Tonga but i think there are more far flung ones. Caribbean choices with double names, Trinidad and Tobago was a no since relative sizes are much different, tried antigua and barbuda as first guess. Distance and direction pointed to possible west Indian ocean, Seychelles? Nope, direction distance pointed to Med. Definitely not cyprus which we just had, so Malta.

How can you see an airport? Isn’t it all the land solid black?

The long thin peninsula with straight line edges is very likely to be a runway built into the water. Could just be a pier, but airstrips are normally longer. You are correct in saying it is in outline form only. Check out Honolulu, St Thomas USVI, Macao.

Got it in 3 today

First guess was in the Caribbean, and was told that the target was 4800 miles due east. This threw me off, as that should be in/around Africa but none of the islands I could think of would fit the silhouette. I guessed Madagascar, knowing it was wrong but looking for better directions. That told me that the target was in the Mediterranean, and I got it. I guess technically Malta is a little closer to straight east than northeast from the Caribbean.

Very strange. I have directions in Worldle in Chrome again.

I had been away from my primary home, with my own Mac mini but with a different monitor and keyboard. I came hope today, and now it’s working. I suspect it’s due to turning the Mac mini off completely for traveling. Or maybe due to shutting down Chrome and restarting it. I had closed the window before, and reopening the window didn’t fix the direction problem, but the more drastic restart apparently did.

Feed free to suggest excuses I can use tomorrow in the thread or by message. (I think I only used the direction excuse once or twice, because I soon learned that directions still worked in Safari.)

#Worldle #361 2/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::tada:

lucky second guess after Bahamas

#Worldle #362 2/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_left:

Don’t even need excuses today, even though some of you may well get it in 1. Fairly unusual shape.

Not today. Overestimated how far countries are apart. All 6 guesses less than 1000 miles from correct location. All except 1 approximately the correct direction from the correct location (e.g. a guess reported as 1000 miles W of correct and 1000 miles SW of correct are approximately the same direction from it), since the northern limit of SW and the southern limit of W are the same)

Not an insta-get. After being too quick yesterday, I spent time thinking about today and zoomed in to max to look a bit.Nothing looked like coastline, so not an island, land locked was my guess. Get rid of easy ones, so not Aus/NA. Not Bolivia or Paraguay, so not SA. The African land locked ones with wonky shapes (Burkina Faso/CAR/South Sudan\Ethiopia, had Zambia recently, plus it has that leg into top from DRCongo) aren’t predominately N/S, except Malawi, but Malawi has lakes on border. Not one of the stans since it is too reasonably shaped, possibly Laos? In Europe I considered FYRs, some of which aren’t distinct in my mind to immediately rule out, and finally due to the war, Moldova. Orientation seemed more like to be M than an FYR, so guessed right

You spent more thinking about it than I ever do, not that additional thinking would do me much good with such a limited knowledge base.

Lol, took me longer to type that than to think it. Probably a couple of minutes. If you keep playing, and spend 5 or so minutes with country maps, I bet you’d consistently hit 3 or less even on the more obscure. My base of “recognize that country immediately” comes mostly from news. The large Europeans, Israel, Egypt, Iran/Iraq/Kuwait, Russia, China, Japan, India later Afghanistan, Pakistan.

Typically clueless today. Shape challenged and distance challenged. Felt promising when I started off a little under 3000 miles off, but overshot on guess 2. Never guessed one within 500. The only slightly good feature is that I never went the wrong direction. Always within 45% of the direction I was told to go.

Wacky shape makes this a memorable one for me. Plus my German friends drove there for vacation last year.
I looked on map as they described where they were.

1 Like

That sums up mine as well. I should have gotten it since I was actually there (on one of those tiny islands) just over 11 yrs ago! Beautiful country btw!

#Worldle #365 6/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_right:
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_right:

Far better than not in 6.

1 Like

#Worldle #366 2/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:

1 Like

#Worldle #366 1/6 (100%)

1 Like

#Worldle #367 4/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_up:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:

Again with the northern coastline. Candidates Estonia, Suriname, (I discarded French Guiana as overseas department), Djibouti. To my memory, Djibouti has more of a notch, Estonia a west coast, and western border of candidate didn’t seem like coastline. As it turns out, Djibouti has little in the way of northern coastline, Eritrea covers that, and is further away from the crook in the Gulf of Aden than I remembered.