World Cup Betting Game

Impressively unimpressive! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

I was feeling pretty good about my chances yesterday, as Ecuador and Denmark had a path to the knockouts with a W. However, with that Aussie goal I’m likely eliminated. Could still finish with a respectable score if Brazil continue their ways.

Looking like I picked the wrong Commonwealth country for my third pick. Just could not foresee Australia having any success within their Group.

Especially after that 4-1 loss to France. I’m in Australia now and regret not getting up at 2am local time to watch.

1 Like

Unfortunately for you, Australia’s Round of 16 match will also be broadcast at a terrible hour in Australia.

1 Like

Thanks for the game.

Go :us:

Might have won this competition if I had just stuck with my original picks of Brazil, Netherlands and Japan.

He-chose-poorly GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

Unlike Mephisto’s Sidekick who picked brilliantly.

Actually, my picks were just my playing around with 538’s published probabilities, the brackets, and an Excel spreadsheet to calculate expected values.

I’m surprised that the methodology has worked out so well so far.

And you chose Morocco for your $1 pick!

Looks like several are riding Morocco to the top of the table but looks like Maphisto’s Sidekick is the only one who will have 3 teams in the quarters and a guaranteed semi-finalist.

1 Like

MS pretty well has it in the bag. My only hope is for The Netherlands to win it all.

As long as it’s not the Dutch.

Should the results of the Brazil onslaught hold… currently 5-1 in the 75th minute (then my computer froze, so 6-1 in stoppage time)… here are the standings after the Round of 16.

IPD 43
knoath 38
Maphisto 31
Arbitrary 28
UltimateAnyone? 23
1695814 21
Cooke 21
KidRock 20
YankeeTripper 18
Outdoorman 17
MayanActuary 16
Arthuritas 15
glassy 15
dr t nonfan 14
DeepPurple 14

As noted, IPD is leading the way but only has one remaining team (Morocco) while knoath, Arby, 169, and cookie are carrying two into the quarters, and MPS looks brilliant with all three picks remaining. Enjoy the QFs everyone, next update on Monday!

4 Likes

Dutch

1 Like

I’ve by no means looked at all the possibilities but it looks like -
IDP needs Morocco and help from the other side of the bracket (And Argentina/Croatia semi would be ideal for him).
Konath needs the Dutch and probably NOT Potrugal in the final.
Maphisto has several paths
Arby is SOL as Knoath has him boxed out.
1695814 not sure he can make up that many points but needs England to win it all to have any chance.

1 Like

YankeeTripper has no teams remaining. He is one of only two players who can make that claim! (Petty post, congrats on resigning Judge)

Pretty accurate recap, Outdoorman (France) and DeepPurple (Argentina) are the only ones with unique picks remaining, but can’t make up the points to win the whole thing.

Yeah my soccer knowledge is pretty much nonexistent!
I confused this with a cooking completion a figured Belgian Waffles had to near the top and maple syrup would be the #1 condiment.

2 Likes

This is the most confusing sentence structure ever set to typeface on the GOA.

2 Likes