World Cup Betting Game

The Dutch are the Buffalo Bills of World Cup competition (most appearances in the Final without a win.) Only have to beat Argentina and (probably) Brazil to get to the Final this time……

So what’s the Dutch translation for “You’re telling me there’s a chance”?

2 Likes

So, we’re going to split the cost of this fence, right?

1 Like

At the risk of piling onto the Dutch, they were my son’s worst customers when he conducted bus tours. Unlike his best customers, the Americans, he knew he would not be augmenting his meagre wage with tips when his bus was full of Dutch people.

1 Like

Looks like I’ll only have one of my picks in the semifinals.

And you need Portugal now or can’t catch IDP.

Thought my Dutch were dead but they still have a pulse.

1 Like

They still have orange blood pumping through their veins.

Lots of drama in the matches today.

14 yellow cards in that last match.

Fold.

Best possible result for IDP.
I think it is down to IDP and Maphisto for first. Maphisto needs Portugal to win the whole thing to catch IDP.
Numbers guy can come close but I think he’s going to come up a few points shorts even if England wins it all.
Deep Purple can also move up the table if Argentina wins it all but like Numbers guy has too many points to make up to win it all.

1 Like

Hey, If Argentina wins it all I might get the 3rd place trip to space camp. I’m all about the rocket ships, baby!

3 Likes

All I know is that I am done like dinner now that the Dutch have exited. Resigned to end up in the bottom third of the competition after a promising start.

I flamed out long ago

Morocco - the $1 gift that keeps on giving.

4 Likes

Congrats IPD!

2 Likes

I really figured that the winner of the contest would be someone who picked the best two $5 teams that made it to the semi finals or better.

Then I Pee Daily comes along and wins with a whole shopping list of $1 teams. What a strategy. It’s like Zerg vs Protoss. ( I know that’s a reference most wont get, but it’s a video game reference about pitting an army of relatively few but powerful units against a much larger army of weaker units)

2 Likes

Something to keep in mind for the 2026 WC Betting Game.

I really like this game (thanks TheArbitrary for finding it/coming up with it) but we might need to run a Monte Carlo simulation to find the expected final point total for each team so that there is not too much arbitrage. It may be that the lowest price team is $2, as the step up from $1 team to $2 is a big one. Or perhaps we have $20 each and the lowest teams are $2 or $3.

My understanding is that the format for the 2026 WC, 16 Groups of 3 followed by knockout rounds, may still change? Conceivable that the format may affect the betting strategy combined with the addition of 16 inferior teams.