World Cup Betting Game

Just because I can’t get enough (even though I haven’t done one in a while…), let’s have a little gambling game for the World Cup. We’ll make it easy given the holidays and busy season for some is coming.

You’ve got $10 to spend, current betting odds have given the price per team. You get 3 points per win and 1 point per draw in the group stage, 2 points for advancing, and then 2 points for winning in the round of 16, 4 for round of 8, 6 for winning in semis, 10 for winning in the final. Bonus of 1 point for winning in the consolation game.

Prices per team:
$5 - Brazil, France, Argentina, England, Spain
$4 - Germany, Belguim, Netherlands, Portugal
$3 - Denmark, Croatia, Uruguay, Senegal, Switzerland,
$2 - USA, Poland, Mexico, Serbia, Wales, Ghana, Ecuador
$1 - Morocco, Cameroon, Canada, Japan, Qatar, South Korea, Tunisia, Australia, Costa Rica, Iran, Saudi Arabia

Admittedly, this game may be skewed for someone who knows a hell of a lot more about soccer than I do. Threw this together and have no idea if it’ll work. But hey, it’s something to do. Picks due by kickoff of the England/Iran match. (In case someone wants to sneak in Monday morning, Sunday likely won’t impact this game).

I’ll make an exception for late entries on Monday morning. You can get picks in up until Senegal/Netherlands but you can’t pick England or Iran if you enter late.

First place gets a vintage set of AO$100, second place AO$25, third place a week at space camp in Universal Orlando!

1 Like

England and Brazil.
I.e., :england: and :brazil:.
I’m hoping for fourth place…please, not third.
What is the ratio of GoA£ to AO$?

1 Like

Netherlands, Denmark, Uruguay.

1 Like

Same as the ratio of leprechauns to unicorns

1 Like

Morocco, S Korea, Poland, Mexico, Netherlands.

1 Like

Not putting mine in until Yasiel enters.

Germany (4), Uruguay (3), Mexico (2), Costa Rica (1)

1 Like

Brazil and Germany.

1 Like

France Germany Iran

1 Like

Brazil, Denmark, Ecuador

1 Like

Brazil, Portugal, Canada

1 Like

Belgium, Switzerland, Poland, Canada

1 Like

USA, Morocco, Cameroon, Canada, Japan, Qatar, South Korea, Tunisia, Iran

1 Like

Argentina $5
Denmark $3
Iran $1
Canadia $1

1 Like

We’ll go with all 7-letter countries:
Germany (4), Uruguay (3) , Ecuador (2) , Morocco (1)

2 Likes

It’s as good a system as any!

I know it was just a friendly but Canada, without its best player, totally outplayed Japan in its 2-1 win over them this morning. Am changing my submission to:

Brazil, Netherlands and Canada.

Look, soccer is just like a lame version of hockey that Canadians play in their 2 week long summer, when the rinks melt, except it’s played without hockey sticks. Of course they are gonna be good at it.

Just tell them that if they win, they get free poutine. Then they’re in the quarter finals for sure.

2 Likes

More Canadians play organized soccer than hockey. Not surprising given the cost of hockey equipment and the proclivity to lose a few teeth playing hockey.

Spain, Morocco… and the Dutch