Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

I got an appointment about five miles away. Took about five minutes online to schedule. As I predicted earlier, my wife did all the work.

1 Like

It makes me a little anxious that with only 19% of the US population fully vaccinated, and limitations on the available vaccine, it has gotten this easy to find appointments in so many places.

1 Like

It was more that I’d fear the side effects of the vaccine if getting it too soon than letting others go first. I think in many places it just isnt hard enough to get an appointment to hold back there.

I know a number of people that are waiting a few weeks because they can’t refresh the page a bunch or make the limited times that are available, so more availability will help to get the rest of those people taken care of if you want a positive spin on it. Another consideration is we administered over 4 million doses in a day for the first time on Saturday. That brought the seven day average to just over 3 million doses per day. So there is a LOT more vaccine becoming available creating these extra appointments.

The number of people with 1 dose is over 75% for those 65+ right now, which is great, and you can see the other ages starting to shoot up as well now that it is more available generally. I had always thought we were going to top out at 70% of the population, so if we can get 75% or 80%, especially of seniors, to me that is more positive than my baseline assumptions.

1 Like

My family was 5.5-6 months post Covid when we got our first vaccines, and we all had the nasty side effects. Idk how much waiting would have changed that. But it did cause me to look for a Saturday appt to minimize time off.

1 Like

Well, seniors are the major group dying from this. They should WANT to get vaccinated, assuming rational “I don’t want to die too soon” goal.
That there are still many seniors not yet vaccinated is probably due to scheduling issues, and being able to get to the vaccination centers. Maybe some general stubbornness.

You’d think so. My grandparents, who are 80+ and were vaccinated, have some friends who are in the same age range, out living their best lives, with no plans to get vaccinated. A lot of them are very religious and have an “if it’s my time, it’s my time” mentality. Also, many of those friends are convinced that all vaccines are made from aborted fetus cells and thus are all morally wrong.

That’s when the kids have to play the “If you want to see your grand kids” card

My mom, who is 80+ said that she has lived her life, and maybe it would be convenient if she died of covid. She got vaccinated mostly because her kids told her that we would be more comfortable visiting her if she were vaccinated. And her doctor told her to do it.

And it’s been great for her – she is socializing with friends again, because they’ve all been vaccinated, now. But if it weren’t that everyone around her told her to do it, she probably wouldn’t have.

2 Likes

exactly! (or if you want to see the KIDS again.)

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say my grandparents’ enthusiasm to see their great-grandkids is significantly less than their desire to see us, their grandkids. Not sure if they don’t have the energy or just don’t care that much, but I think they’d be fine with never seeing them again, tbh.

Thankfully, it’s not a conversation I had to have, but I was preparing to have it with my own parents (and Mr. NA’s parents) if they were being stupid about this. His mother still is being dumb, but she’s out in Arizona so it’s not like she would be seeing the kids anytime soon anyway (she doesn’t come out, doesn’t seem to care much about her kids OR grandkids, kind of a callous woman). And Mr. NA did finally convince her to make an appointment.

1 Like

Yup, emotional blackmail is always a key part of healthy relationships.

How is being fearful of unvaccinated people getting together blackmail?

1 Like

Damn right

my father, FiL and Mother In Law once removed are all easy, so no need.

seriously, to me this is too important, I’ll play any card in the deck.if I had to. I am not a manipulative person otherwise

2 Likes

Well, if one of my kids had COVID and gave it to one of their grandparents, which ultimately killed them, and my kid had to carry around the burden of that guilt the rest of their lives (it wouldn’t be their fault, but it would certainly weigh on them and probably have to be undone over years of therapy), I would say that would be the less great outcome. So, we didn’t let our parents see our kids until they were vaccinated.

2 Likes

https://lmgtfy.app/?q="emotional+blackmail"

Yeah, that’s not blackmail. Sorry.

6 Likes

This is a crappy situation we are in as well with an ex MIL. She refuses to get the vaccine, she is very overweight, and will likely have a horrible time getting through COVID. Regardless where she gets it, it will be a hard time on her grandkids. I am just glad the rest of our parents have been vaccinated in spite of their general acceptance of right wing rhetoric.

1 Like

Oddie gets first dose Wednesday, 35 minutes from home, booked today.

2 Likes

How does MA have zero available appointments across the entire state at the retail chains? Are they relying mostly on mass vaccine events?