Will you get the vaccine as soon as available to you?

I typically don’t have any side effects from the flu shot. Maybe once or twice I felt a little rough the next day. One time I did have a nasty injection site reaction: an oozy sore that persisted for a couple of weeks.

I’ve never had any effects after the flu shot other than some injection site tenderness.

COVID is the only shot I’ve gotten with noticeable side effects.

I used to get flu-lite with the flu shot, when I was in my 20’s. Then I stopped feeling crappy and started tasting a metallic taste, like sucking on a penny, maybe 10-15 minutes after the shot, and a little bit of achiness. A couple years ago I didn’t get the metallic taste at all, so it wasn’t consistent. This year, I did.

Good story, I know.

1 Like

how often do you suck on pennies?

I put coins in my mouth as a kid and teenager all the time, I liked the taste. Even after finding out how gross coins are…

Misread this but got my attention.

I sucked on coins as a kid, too. I know what pretty much everything i handled as a kid tastes like, including lots of metals and woods.

The worst side effect i ever had from a vaccine was from a tetanus booster when i was about 20. I ached all over, felt like shit, and vomited, all the day after the shot, and ached for a few more days.

I’ve also had achiness and tiredness from covid and shingles vaccines. I hurt more from the covid vac than the shingles vax, but felt tired longer after the shingles vax.

I’ve had a lot of other vaccines as an adult, including a ton when i visited Africa, but i didn’t really notice much from any of the others. Maybe a slightly upset stomach after the polio booster.

Also had side effects from a tetinus booster

I got rabies vaccine and the last shot wiped me out. I got it on the way to work and felt progressively worse for about 2 hours before I decided to go home. I only made it the mile to the highway entrance ramp and couldn’t even drive anymore. I had to pull over for a few hours with sweats, shaking, etc.

Yikes!

After I was bit by a dog the hospital was walking me through the process which made me think that I never wanted to do that. Fortunately Animal Control was able to ascertain that the dog that bit me was current on his rabies shots, so I didn’t have to do it. But the hospital made it sound like I was on my own to determine if the dog had gotten the appropriate shot, so it was such a huge relief when Animal Control took care of it for me. I still say a prayer periodically thanking God for the wonderful woman there who helped me and asking for His blessings on her.

I’m sorry that you had to go through that.

Wow. All of them were easy for me. I had to wait for awhile after the first two shots. The last 2 I left right after.

Got the flu shot yesterday evening. Arm was a little sore last night, but fine this morning. No other ill effects at all (besides craving breakfast pizza from Casey’s). Bonus is I now get 80 cents/gallon off of gas.

Tetanus booster is worth it, though. That’s a really nasty disease that no one needs to get. And the vaccine works really well.

Recent tetanus boosters haven’t been as bad. On par with recent covid shots.

(The bad one was, now that i think about it, about the same as my reaction to my first covid booster, the j&j shot, except that i also vomited. At least j&j didn’t upset my stomach.)

The only reason i got a tetinus booster was because i stupidly went to the hospital after getting rammed into by a bike and they said i should get one when i had no idea when i last did. My regular doctor never suggested it.

Didnt realize at the time that i didnt feel well the next day due to the tetinus booster, not due to slightly fracturing my elbow. I think the side effects were similar to the covid booster.

Hmmm, I can’t remember the last time I had a tetanus shot, so I’m probably due.

Those seem so mild to me that I never remember them. Normally (including now) I don’t remember if it’s been within the past year. My impression is it does no harm if you get once for a wound even if you have had one. Rarely if ever have gotten one just for the passage of time. May have for overseas travel plus passage of time.

Yeah, when I was bitten by the dog they gave me a tetanus shot even though I’d had one 2-3 years earlier. Better to get too many than not enough.

I think the recommendation is every 10 years, or if it’s been more than 3 years and you get injured in a tetanusy way.