Wi Spa controversy

At this point, I’m muting this conversation. I’ve said what I need to say, and any further involvement is just going to lead me to lying in bed as a ball of tears. I wish people could see just how personally hurtful these type of comments are.

Trans people are people. We just want to live our lives. We want to do the same thing cis people do. We want to fall in love, have pets, kids, and friends. We want to have fulfilling job and hobbies we enjoy. We just want to be left to live our lives. Yet every facet of society is designed to exclude us as much as possible.

sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you.

I haven’t seen a trans person in a locker room that I know of, and I think I’d likely be okay with it in the end. Just not sure that if someone isn’t that means they are transphobic.

Plenty of people are uncomfortable in a naked setting, and most of them simply avoid it. If you are uncomfortable seeing naked people in a place where people get naked, the answer is to not go to that place, not try to have them removed. This is a pretty simple case, actually.

and you don’t think it’s possible that a person is fine being around naked people who have the same body parts they do, but uncomfortable if they don’t?

i’m not talking about myself here. I’m not uncomfortable seeing naked people. I’m uncomfortable being naked, so I wouldn’t go to these places in the first place, but as I said I wasn’t talking about me here.

I’d be a little uncomfortable in a spa with a person with any body part that really surprised me, like having stumps instead of legs, or a bent-over spine. But if I ran into such a person in a spa, I would consider it a “me” problem. I don’t think we should ban people for having unusual bodies.

2 Likes

I was talking about a penis, not a leg stump :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

When I was a kid I definitely felt weird being naked in front of anyone. The idea of boys showering naked together in locker room showers was completely icky to me. And I’m gay.

if people of the same genitalia can be naked together, adult and child alike in spa situations, then so can people of different genitalia.

If you feel uncomfortable, that’s on you. Either make it illegal for anyone to be naked in front of each other in public, or legalize it all.

So why do they separate the sides of the spa into a men’s side and a women’s side? My assumption was for separation by genitalia. If that isn’t the reason, then why are they separated?

1 Like

Legalize it all? So let straight cis gendered men be naked in front of women and they just have to deal with it? Get rid of gendered locker rooms entirely and if you have a problem with that, it is on you? That’s crazy talk.

3 Likes

How is that different from exposing your genitalia to people with the same genitals as you, even if they feel completely disgusted by it?

How about we make it illegal for anyone to be naked in front of anyone in public?

Yeah, that is another way to solve it.

That’s the solution both my gym and the place i vacation use. The gym is still mostly an open changing area, but it has a scattering of nice little “privacy rooms”, where you can change if you aren’t comfortable changing in the open area.

I know they have some trans women. I’ve never noticed one changing. Perhaps they use the stalls. More importantly, any woman who doesn’t want to be in the open changing area with a transwoman can choose to use a stall and not risk it. They have some observant Muslim customers who do that, according to what staff have told me.

The place i vacation used to have two enclosed areas within the change house, one for men and the other for women. They replaced them with 8 individual stalls. I miss the comaraderie of getting dressed for lunch with the other women, but this is working completely fine as a way for everyone to do what needs doing. And bonus, if I’m looking for the family bottle of sunscreen, i don’t feel like a creep looking in all the empty stalls. I did, slightly, when going into the empty men’s changing room. The new stalls are also large enough for a parent to help a child.

Nobody should be forced to be naked in front of anyone, or be forced to see the naked body of anyone else.

gender/sex is irrelevant here

On the flip side, maybe we should remove the stigma of being naked period, so if you’re going to allow open showers/change rooms, then it really doesn’t matter what gender other people are.

gay and trans people have been amongst open change rooms/showers for millennia, so any discomfort one may have with the idea is just muffled phobia.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but I might reframe it as society (especially American society) needing to walk back from the over-sexualization of nudity.

It’s OK to be nude. It’s OK to not be comfortable sharing one’s own nudity. The obsession over other people’s bits and pieces is a problem.

1 Like

I’ve run into this with the thought of little kids taking a bath together. And heaven forbid if it’s a brother and a sister, regardless of how young and many years from puberty they all are.

Are you okay with brothers showering together? How is that any different?

I know plenty of siblings where both brothers end up to be gay. I know plenty of brother/sister where the brother is gay and the sister is lesbian.

In fact, I have a friend who has both a brother and a sister. Both male siblings are gay and the sister is a lesbian.

You are simply projecting.

No I don’t have an issue with it, I’m not sure what you think I’m projecting.

To be clear I’m usually the one being told it’s not right for the kids to bathe together and me thinking that person is a pervert for projecting sexuality onto a 3 year old.

Well then I misconstrued. Sorry.