What's cool in smart phones?

I heard kids these days like to use something called Instant Gram so make sure to get the computer man to install it on your smart telephone when you buy it.

1 Like

I have the S21. Honestly the only thing that really seems to be improving that you might find worth it is the camera imo. I only got it because my carrier yelled at me and said they wouldnā€™t support my phone anymore with the 5g transition.

No headphone jack is annoying but I do have an adapter that works. But remembering to carry that adapter thing around is annoying as hell imo. All I wanna do is jack in.

1 Like

I think the refresh rate of my 20FE or something in the hardware produced a much smoother scroll/video/animation over my S8. And my old battery was at the end of its life, so that was a nice improvement, but nothing related to new technology. Thatā€™s really it from 4 years ago.

In the meantime iPhone buyers got things like facial recognition, fingerprint scanners, and waterproof phones, so they felt more of an upgrade, but they are still just catching up.

Doesnā€™t anyone wirelessly charge? Then you can use the port on the phone as a dedicated headphones port.

Early Pixels (up through 4, I think?) donā€™t do wireless charging. I think Galaxy phones do, so the Galaxy S-whatever without an audio jack might not be an issue.

when Iā€™m using my headphones sometimes the phone falls off the wireless charger, like when I get up but forget my head is attached to a cable and drags the phone along, so I prefer to have it charged wired

Again with the trolling. Come one CS, at least make them funny.

OK, this one was kinda funny. Which is why Iā€™m responding at all.

I think thatā€™s right. My Pixel 5 does wireless charging, and there were a bunch of articles about how they managed to have a metal case with wireless charging (the charging wire was outside the metal.)

But if thereā€™s no audio port, how does wireless charging help? Insert a dongle, hang a cord off it, and also balance it on the charger? That all sounds precarious.

Before I got my true wireless buds (I have a nice pair from JBL), I had blue tooth buds that were wired to each other. Basically, one of them was the receiving piece and a wire ran to the other. Those are convenient b/c you can take them out and drape them over your shoulders. Much harder to loose than the two loose ones.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I use. Bose Sport-something or other. According to reviews the sound quality isnā€™t great but they seem fine for my audiobooks. I rotate between a couple pairs bc I tend to use them for long stretches on weekends. Need to add a 3rd pair into the rotation bc these are now old enough (and have been chewed on my a naughty pup) that they donā€™t hold a charge as long.

quick bought a galaxy s21 on my walk to work. the first verizon store didnā€™t have them at all. the 2nd verizon store had ONE left. I asked why is it so scarce? Apparently the s21 is no longer the newest model. the newest model is the galaxy Z. i got all confused as to what to buy, but the guy in the 2nd store said heā€™s had a lot of complaints with the galaxy Z, and it was more expensive, so i just bought the s21. didnā€™t really get to try it before buying it because it isnā€™t on display. i just held it in my hand. turns out the tallness of it IS a factor. i didnā€™t realize this until i turned it on after buying it and using it. itā€™s way taller. it has a split keyboard to account for that. hopefully i can get used to it. so far, itā€™s challenging.

the galaxy z has a flip version and a fold version. it looks cool and all, but the guy in the store said that the fact that both can be folded creates a line on the screen that annoys people.

seems all the high end smart phones are taller than what iā€™m used to. i looked up the google pixel 6 and itā€™s even taller than the galaxy s21. i guess i can get used to it. itā€™s a bit awkward using that split keyboard.

the galaxy z is even taller too and also wider.

Iā€™m really surprised after the piano fiasco that you wouldnā€™t demand to hold the phone before buying it.

i did hold it. i just didnā€™t turn it on to realize ya, landscape mode is hard on this.

but in the end, i might have bought it anyway hoping to get used to it because all the high end smart phones are larger than they used to be.

also, i donā€™t always have great judgment.

it took for freaking ever for my old phone to transfer all itā€™s stuff to my new phone, and i didnā€™t wear a mask in the store, nor did the sales person. so, omicron expected in a few days you guys.

Huh, that surprises me. Most stores around here are still asking everyone to wear a mask.

yeah, this one didnā€™t have a sign on the door. many others do, but for the ones that do, they mostly merely suggest you wear a mask if youā€™re vaccinated and require it if youā€™re not. most people in the store were wearing a mask, but this particular sales person wasnā€™t.

they also did away with the curved screen that was a feature on the s8 because it made it impossible to have a screen protector, and likely why i cracked my screen pretty early on. so these new ā€œfeaturesā€ on models donā€™t always stick around when they are proven to suck.

for this one i got the screen protector and the otter box immediately rather than put it off to bargain shop and never actually do it cause iā€™ve been known to drop phones early on and break the phone within weeks.

ugh, i tested out the camera and itā€™s all fuzzy. iā€™m wondering if this was a returned phone thatā€™s defective since it was the last one.

False alarm. Dude at the store forgot to remove the lense cover and I didnā€™t notice