What's cool in smart phones?

ah, then i want just the base s21 model most likely. larger isn’t my goal with my tiny hands.

Probably. Check at the specs of the S20 and S10 rather than just go with the S21. It may not be the best of the 3 for what you would be looking for.

looks like the ultra and the plus have the same width, but the height of the ultra is bigger. the base model is smaller than both in width and height.

on the verizon store, i don’t see that i could get the s10 at all. for the s20, i see the galaxy note ultra and the UW (whatever that means), but the UW got really shitty reviews.

I’ve been very happy with the Google pixel. There’s a little one and a medium one on the market, now, and i bought the medium one. There’s also a budget version that i didn’t buy because i got this at the start of the pandemic and wanted to be able to wash my phone. But i think the budget one is an excellent value. And it has a headphone jack.

It seems wireless headphones are, like, so 2012. Wire up, kids. I kept my big AudioTechnica cans for this moment!!!

oh, i’m wrong. they do have s10’s. i was on the wrong tab on the verizon site. it’s “certified pre-owned” though. I don’t want someone else’s old phone.

I think the current generation Pixel is the 6?

I had the Pixel 2, where they removed the headphone jack, then when I had trouble keeping the battery charged on that I “upgraded” to the 4a (budget version of the Pixel 4). I don’t think the 4a was much of a step up in terms of specs from the 2, but it does have a headphone jack, and I’ve been happy enough with it.

I didn’t completely mind using the little $10 headphone adapter that came with the Pixel2, but as @BG5150 said, it meant I couldn’t listen and charge at the same time. Plus it’s just one more connection/wire that can get loose or go bad.

The other phone in our household is a Galaxy S10+ that is also a good phone. It’s a little larger than my Pixel and its owner doesn’t keep it in a case so it’s too slippery for my small, clumsy hands.

looks like the width of the s21 is 0.12 inches larger than the s8. doesn’t seem terrible. the width of the s10 is .09 inches larger than the s8. i guess every tiny bit counts though.

I was looking on Amazon at the time at unlocked phones.

ah, i see it’s sold on amazon too. i was probably just gonna go to the verizon store. looks like the amazon version of at least the s20 is pre-owned. i assume whatever i get from the store is new.

they do have the older models (pre-owned). i was just on the wrong tab on the website.

Make sure you go to a store and see them in person if you are concerned with the size. You may fine 0.12" is ok, or it may seem too big.

yeah, that’s my plan. i definitely need to hold them before buying one.

I have an S21 Ultra. If you take a lot of photos and videos with your phone, I think the Ultra is the way to go.

The Samsung website may be easier to see the comparison of the different models.

Samsung website

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m out-of-date. I have the Pixel 5 (which has been awesome, and remains an excellent phone) and the cheaper one I considered was the Pixel 4a (5G).

1 Like

yeah, i’d likely not get the ultra no matter how good the features are just due to it being wider than the other options. it likely wouldn’t be easy to hold in hands on the smaller side.

thanks for the link.

1 Like

I don’t do airpods bc I’d lose them, but I’ve been using bluetooth headphones for a long time. I like walking around while listening to stuff and it’s just so much easier.

I got the Pixel 4A 5G several months back. I still like it. If I were getting a new phone today I’d probably get the Pixel 6 Pro or the S21 Ultra.

2 Likes

I have a few pairs of wired headphones. And the Sony buds. And the Sony wireless headphones. It’s a decent amount of hardware.

I almost always go for the Sony buds. The Sony cans are typically reserved for travel.

Mrs F has bluetooth headphones that she wears around the home while listening to audio or some video. Now i get to say everything twice to her. First time is practice, but alerts her that i was trying to say something. Then I repeat it after she sighs and taps pause or removes the ear.

I don’t do airpods because I hate having stuff in my ears. I have some nice wireless headphones I can use when I need to, but working from home, mostly I just use the speakers built into my phone or laptop.

I would have liked an audio jack so I could connect my phone to an amplifier, but I mostly did that in the before days, and have a lot less need for it during the pandemic. :cry: