What % of women in the US dye their hair?

Yeah, I think the haircut is an additional $18 and I tip her $2 more.

I’m already in the chair, she’s already washing my hair and styling it anyway… it’s not that much more work for her to cut it at the same time.

not to brag or anything, but 2 people recently asked me how old i was because of situations that made me seem older but the way i looked made me seem younger and was shocked when i said my actual age.

so the gray hair isn’t holding me back too much from people thinking i’m much younger than i am.

1 Like

at a manhattan salon it’s an entirely different person who colors it vs cuts it.

Ah, well this place is in the Po and my gal does it all.

In fact sometimes she’ll cut someone else’s hair while my color is processing.

not a bunch of actuaries complaining about the price of doing hair

yeah, this is one of the many negatives of living in manhattan.

i like my hairdresser. she cuts my hair to perfection of how i want it, but she’s extremely expensive. i could maybe get something cheaper elsewhere, but they probably wouldn’t do exactly what i want, thus i pay her prices. i don’t think i get anything drastically involved, but i am particular in what i want and she does it.

not sure where i could go for a decent dye job that would be reasonably priced here. the high-end salons are insanely expensive.

You mean like this dude?

Yeah, i guess it is a bunch of actuaries complaining about the price of doing hair. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I dye my hair, but only fantasy colors. When I get greys, I intend to embrace it.

3 Likes

I was gonna die my hair green during covid in 2020, but then I chickened out because I was afraid of what work would think.

Then I ran into one of the new hires in the office recently who died her hair green.

I should have just done it. nobody cares. now she did it first so it’s like i copied if I do it.

2 Likes

Yeah, i think it’s really uncommon for women to let their hair go gray these days. I did, and something like half a dozen people remarked in it. No one says, “i see you are letting your hair go gray” to be polite, so i assume they found it somewhat remarkable.

Also, I’ve tried dying my hair “fun” colors, like purple, and the dye just washes out. So I’ve given up. Too much hassle. I think it would work better if i bleached it, first (yes, bleaching gray hair) but that permanently damages the hairs, and i don’t have so much hair any more that i want to damage what I’ve got.

there’s a gray hair movement on instagram. i follow this one chick whose entire page is devoted to gray hair. she follows similar other chicks with gray hair.

Yes I agree I was calling myself out there.

Dying hair isn’t THAT much when you figure it can last you a good few months without it starting to look ridiculous.
We make enough money to afford it. I mean, poorer people afford it just fine. It all depends on whether or not you want to look consistently good.
Also, it’s a fucking pain to sit in a chair for that long doing nothing.

1 Like

My experience was that the dye was mostly faded after i washed my hair a couple of times. Maybe “standard” dyes last longer than “fun colors” dyes. Maybe I’m just unlucky with my hair–i have a friend who can dye her hair and the color lasts until it grows out. (And the same woman dyed both our hair, with the same stuff.) But it sure didn’t last me a few months.

my haircut costs $300.

If i’m going to tack on an additional $300 to color my hair every 2 months, that’s extreme, even for an actuary. I also don’t make a lot of money, particularly by Manhattan standards.

poor people don’t live where I live, so whatever the hell they pay for their hair isn’t relevant to what I have to pay for my hair near where I live.

Not wanting to spend $300 every 2 months (or from the sound of it 2 months max) to color my hair on top of a haircut doesn’t make me a cheap actuary.

also, my gray looks fucking fantastic thanks

1 Like

Oh interesting. Some sources support that. I’m not a hair stylist of course but I find that online resources (also, actual licensed stylists) have a variety of sources that support competing ideas. However something about the oil production of grey follicles makes color harder to stick I guess.

Reading a few sources, seems like it may be easier to bleach but doesn’t take up the color as well, so more frequent applications would be needed.

1 Like

You have to really take care of dyed hair to preserve it. Preferably not wash your hair all that much.

My routine is

Day 1: Full cold water, color-safe shampoo quickly kneaded throughout, rinse as fast as possible
Day 2: Just cold water
Day 3: If my hair looks fine, I didn’t work out that day, etc. then just don’t wash, or at most a brief wetdown with cold water to manage it.

Repeat. My hair’s great about keeping color but with the above it’ll keep some level of it indefinitely, basically. After a few weeks I relax about the temperature of water and will start conditioning it too, I’ve reached the point of inflection by then.

Ew! You can wash it, just use shampoo & conditioner for color-treated hair.

When I had fewer grays to cover I only colored every two months and the color held just fine. I get it colored more often now because my roots start becoming obvious faster than they used to, not because the color is fading.

Granted, that’s for natural-looking color. I’m not sure about blue and purple and such.

I added a poll to the OP. Vote please!

Thanks for posting the article - I was dyeing to know about this

1 Like