What % of women in the US dye their hair?

I was very blond as a child. Started turning brown pretty early, and was completely light brown in high school. I’m maybe 1/3 gray now. The beard is almost completely gray. I look younger if I am clean shaven as a result, but since I don’t care I’ve been sporting a goatee lately.

My wife dyes her hair, but not all that frequently, not terrible on gray

My youngest has color in her hair, does that count?

FWIW, I don’t dye and don’t need to

you were okay with yourself being gray, but not your spouse? seems a bit hypocritical.

This. I didn’t dye my hair until I started to go gray. Too much $$$. But now that I’ve started to go gray I do. I’ve even had to bump up the frequency as the severity has worsened.

Maybe in my 60s or 70s I’ll give up and just be gray. But for now I don’t wanna look like an old lady.

I intend to look 35 even when I’m 75

Huh? I thought greys were harder to color. Something about not taking up the color as well.

Maybe that depends on whether it’s more silvery or just white.

Checks out.

1 Like

It’s only creepy when they’re straight

Nah, dyed hair when you get old looks weird no matter what your persuasion. When you are in your 40’s you can fake it for a while, and many people can through their 50’s. Eventually it just looks odd if you keep it up.

I got blonde highlights in my mid 20’s once and hated it. i said to do something subtle and it was very blonde and not subtle at all. it looked ridiculous with my dark brown eyes, almost like it clashed. and my hair turned to straw as a result. i found myself jealous of my sister’s natural brown hair, the same natural brown hair i had before messing with it, and i vowed to never color my hair again after that until i went gray. i didn’t realize that blonde hair clashes with dark eyes before i did that.

then when i started getting noticeable gray, i colored it once, and again hated the results. they colored it brown, but turns out my natural hair has subtle highlights and the block brown of dye with no definition REALLY bothered me. this was a while ago at this point and my natural hair color has long taken over. so, until they have a super natural looking way to cover gray, i’m just embracing my gray. the twice in my life times i tried to mess with my hair color, i hated the results.

i really like my natural brown hair color. i don’t like the gray, but there is no good way to turn the gray the same shade that i have naturally in the brown strands. nothing looks natural to me.

my sister’s dye job looks okay, but if she gets in bright light, it looks fake.

i’m older than you, don’t dye my gray, and i still don’t think i look like an old lady.

i don’t love the gray, but the dye job alternative is worse to me.

Maybe. Not too concerned about the hypocrisy, it was only one time, and my spouse is gonna do what they’re gonna do regardless of my opinion.
It wasn’t they grey hair, it was more about having an old retired lifestyle. And I’m nowhere near that. Some of my peers are getting towards that. Not me.
Shoot, I know some folks that just bought ebikes to drive around the neighbourhood. That’s about the last thing in doing, driving around on my lazy ass in an ebike. If I want to bike I’ll trade n for a century.

Grey hair is awful. I can deal with the color but the texture—ugh! It’s all frizzy and gross.

I quit dyeing (highlighting really) after looking at a photo and my hair looked yellow. Not blonde but yellow. I also hated the roots showing and having to go to the hairdresser so often. My hair is a weird color now, sort of blondish grey, but I don’t hate it except for the texture.

But I think if 75% of women dye their hair it’s bc of the popularity of rainbow colors.

1 Like

Yeah, I have two colors put in with foils to make it look more natural. And on top the stylist goes diagonally so I don’t have stripey hair, which is a dead giveaway that it’s colored.

Apparently some people like the stripey look, but I don’t. I cheer for the Bengals, but I don’t need to look like one. :tiger2:

1 Like

BTW, I used to put in a single color by myself and one day one of my BFFs asked me if I’d just colored my hair and informed me that I missed a big chunk in back. It was at that point that I decided I had to go big or go home. Pay a stylist to do it right or keep it natural. I obviously lack the skills to color my own hair well and a bad dye job is worse than being grey.

I also have a crap ton of hair, so there probably just wasn’t enough color in the box. At least that’s what I tell myself. My stylist has confirmed that I’d need to buy two boxes to have enough color, but maybe she’s just saying that.

It’s also crazy expensive to do anything to your hair in Manhattan. I pay way too much for haircuts as it is. I go a long time between haircuts though, sometimes up to a year. You can’t really do that with coloring your hair so much if you’re gonna continue to have said color.

Yeah I started out every 9 weeks and now I’m greyer and have gradually moved to every 6 weeks.

I used to get my hair cut about every 9 months or so. Now I have the stylist cut it every 3rd time I get it colored. For a long time it was $170 if I got it cut and $150 if I didn’t (including tip). But… inflation.

Last time it was $193 including tip. I think that included the cut. Not Manhattan. My hairdresser is actually out in the boonies so her lease is probably fairly inexpensive.

you’re only paying an additional $20 to get a haircut on top of color? that’s super cheap.