What is your COVID vaccine position?

Left wingers would wait until after the mandate is in place to make a point? I’d say they need to step up their game.

This is the essence of anti-vaxxers in general. Just make some stuff up and claim it as fact.

1 Like

That’ll convince them. Call the vaccine-hesitant “anti-vaxxers”.

Oh, isn’t that what this thread is?

1 Like

I’m not trying to get anybody vaccinated right now.

But your claim seemed to be more that people would be more likely to be vaccinated if they weren’t encouraged to do it. Kind of like the old reverse psychology approach for getting your younger brother or sister to let you sit by the window, I guess?

I mean like any kind of evidence that adults are on average more likely to get vaccinated when they are not encouraged too.

Or even some kind of moral argument that we shouldn’t tell people the right thing to do to protect themselves and others, because they might use it as an excuse to keep doing the risky thing.

Personally, I think most people are not getting vaccinated because people in power are lying to them, either for political ends or to get better ratings and influence. That’s based on all the lying I see from those people, and other people i know and care about repeating those lies as reasons not to get vaccinated. But i don’t really know for sure.

In the case of the community of parents with autistic kids, my understanding is that they were not well treated at times by the medical establishment.

And similarly, surely some of the highly educated or powerful who are now encouraging vaccination have at times been dismissive or arrogant towards those now refusing vaccinations.

That probably functioned as fertilizer that the lies grow. But the lies are still the primary cause.

4 Likes

If you think “encouraged” is the right word, that’s probably a big part of the problem.

1 Like

At this point, the people I’ve interacted with are hesitant because they’re scared due to vast amounts of misinformation (like “it will change your DNA”) or are so dug in that even if God popped up and said to get vaccinated, they wouldn’t. There’s an article to at least one anecdote about the latter linked somewhere here on the GoA.

1 Like

Maybe we need more restrictions on what kinds of information people can see. That usually works well with skepticism.

1 Like

Well, time will tell. I’m guessing ‘the weather’ will be, oh, about 99.4% clear by Dec 8.

It’d help if you supplied some information.

1 Like

We’re supposed to restrict information, not supply it.

Oh wait. This is stuff you just find “interesting” and don’t want to have an actual discussion. Probably.

3 Likes

Can you pull out your dictionary and check if information has to be true?

It is kind of interesting.

Letting politics dictate what is true. No way for that to go wrong.

Fox news requires their employees to either get vaccinated (90%+ have) or get tested daily. Funny to learn how one of the networks that has enjoyed financial success from peddling vaccine misinformation actually thinks about vaccines.

3 Likes

Good thing I get my medical information from medical experts. Unfortunately that’s not the case for many.

I’m still trying to determine how approved vaccine = poison
EUA treatments = gimme have it

1 Like

On both sides.

1 Like

I gotta say, I was a roommate with a Southwest flight attendant for a few months about 20 years ago, and it was fascinating to hear her stories about the airline’s operations, and from my perspective, airline operations in general. If I ever quit actuarying it would be interesting to be one of the folks who figure all this stuff out at an airline. I don’t even know what those jobs are called, but I bet they’d be interesting.

In a nutshell: it’s freaking complicated!!! Following all of the rest and training and medical requirements, and the number of flight crew who do not live in their base, and union contract rules and whatnot… and I think it’s even more complicated at other airlines. One of Southwest’s cost-saving things was to have only 737s so that every pilot and every mechanic in the airline’s employ can fly/repair every airplane. But for other airlines that’s not true. A Delta 777 pilot cannot fly an Airbus.

And I think they are operating on such tight margins that when you pull on one little thread a lot can unravel. One pilot gets sick when the plane is not in a Southwest base and they now have to deadhead two pilots and three flight attendants out there because the four non-sick crew members will exceed their legal duty day by the time they replace the one sick pilot. And that means you’ve gotta find 5 crew members and figure out how to get them there. And then you’re outside your departure window at the airport which means you could be sitting on the ground a while waiting for a runway. And then that has significant downstream effects…

In the meantime you have to figure out how to get all 5 of the original crew members back to their base. If the pilot got sick in Portland and the crew are all based in Las Vegas… you gotta get ‘em back to Vegas. You can’t just leave them in Portland, obviously.

TL; DR: Calling out sick 12 hours before the start of a trip is radically different from calling out sick at the most disadvantageous-to-the-airline point mid-trip. Looking at raw sick rates is hiding a LOT of nuance.

Anecdote for you:

Vaccine-hesitant: I did my research and don’t trust it, blah, blah blah. Hey, so you friend with cancer is cured?

Me: What makes you think that?

VH: Because his white cell count is really low.

Me: No ****hole, he’s dying of metastatic cancer. There’s too much cancer in his bones to make enough blood cells.

Glad he has the level of medical understanding to do covid vaccine research. :roll_eyes:

1 Like