What are you watching (bingeing) these days?

jumped into Severance (S1) on appletv over the weekend.

i like it. great cast, interesting premise. about 8 or 9 episodes in.

3 Likes

need s2 asap!!

Watched a bunch of Oats Studios last night

Itā€™s kinda like Black Mirror, but on aliens/alien worlds/alien tech, much shorter episodes, some are better than others. Quite a few are just WTF, but not in an awesome way.

Yeah those were hit or miss for me too.

Started watching Reboot on Hulu.

Pretty funny. Watched about half of it last night.

would have actually put this in the Last Movie I Watched thread

agree with your analysis. Have the book on my shelf, but not sure I care to read it anymore

1 Like

Ozark

1 Like

Moved it. Thanks.

1 Like

Heā€™s clearly gone off the deep end (or at least sold out) but since you already own the book I would still read it. I thought it was an interesting perspective on a different mind set. And it is actually one that is at least partially related to how the people NickP (I think, not sure if I am getting the right poster) talks about may view the world.

Iā€™ll read it, just not in public. Maybe as he become less relevant

I would read Mein Kampf if I felt I might learn something, as distasteful as that lesson might be.

canā€™t wait for The Crown s5 tomorrow!!!

I agree it was important to get Vanceā€™s perspective even if he is an apostate.

Unless the book is very different, or more insightful than the movie, I donā€™t think I will invest the additional time to read it given other books I have lined up to read. Spending two hours on the movie was enough.

I think I watched the movie and my recollection is it doesnā€™t do a very good job of diving into the history. I think the movie was a very basic, entertaining, story.

I read the book shortly after reading American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America.

Do I suggest you buy a copy now? Probably not, especially if you object to financially supporting Vance. But it was a good follow-up to American Nations and Vanceā€™s discussion/explanation of the modern Appalachian cultural perspective was interesting and served to reinforce the cultural migration/development outlined by Woodward in American Nations.

ETA: The book was a fairly easy and entertaining read. I am not sure how much additional it will add since I canā€™t remember the movie very well and I am sure I am mixing the book and movie up in my head.

1 Like

Itā€™s me. Grew up in EKy so very familiar with the culture described in Hillbiilly Elegy. I donā€™t think many urban folks understand how people view the world in a small dead end town. They certainly donā€™t understand how government welfare shapes the lives and opinions of everyone whether they are on it or not.

1 Like

I certainly have sympathy with folks in that situation: Vance was unusual in his success. He was undoubtedly very smart but might not have gone far without the GI bill, which helped him to get his initial university education at Ohio State after his military service.

It sounds as if Vanceā€™s grandmother was the push he needed. I identified a bit with that as I almost dropped out of high school to take over our farm from my ailing father but my mother pushed me to go to university. I could write a book about the sacrifices she made to ensure that happened. Maybe I can call it Rural Ontario Elegy.

3 Likes

Honestly, I read Hillbilly Elegy and while I donā€™t discount his lived experience, some of what he thought was unique justā€¦wasnā€™t. I saw a lot of my own family members in his story and they werenā€™t anywhere close to Kentucky nor even rural.

Not really interested in the movie.

1 Like

Itā€™s one that Iā€™ve been curious about for a while, but it donā€™t want to support the guy. Now that I have my car back I may see if itā€™s available on CD at the library so I can listen in my car.

finished S1 of severance. loved the ending of the season.

as JSM said, S2 canā€™t arrive fast enough.

2 Likes

The Peripheral - Amazon Prime. Liking this a lot. Sci-fi sort of time travel where they use a video game link to go to different time via Peripherals that sort of work like life like avatars. Some aspects remind me of a darker version of Ready Player One.

Huh. Hillbilly Elegy is less than 7 hours on audible. Maybe. I have 5 credits burning a hole.