What are you watching (bingeing) these days?

Bummer! I loved the book and thought the show might be fun.

Working my way through Night Agent on Netflix. Pretty entertaining so far, about 3 or 4 episodes in.

1 Like

I enjoyed it while watching it, but it is already getting combined with all the similar type CIA/FBI shows in my mind.

I can see that. Still need to finish The Recruit and the latest season of Jack Ryan.

2 Likes

Exactly

I don’t know where else to put this post, but it’s about a TV show so I’ll put it here.

There’s a show on A&E called Neighborhood Wars. Has anyone else seen it?

It’s a video clip show, but it’s about people doing rude, dumb, dangerous, often criminal things to other people, mostly happening in residential areas.

It’s often a figurative “train wreck” scenario that is playing out, and you just cannot help but watch each video to see how it’s going to end.

If you want to lose faith that there is any “goodness” that is innately inherent in humans, this is a good show to watch.

Starts with the producers and creators of shows like this.

2 Likes

And if no one watched them they wouldn’t make shows like this. So one tiny thing each of us can do to help is NOT watch such shows.

The Mandalorian

Been re-watching seasons 1 & 2 with the new season 3.

Great series.

Also Picard, but series is pretty meh.

I find it far too predictable. The “years later” interviews – certainly not now, as that would make them all 70+ years old, but probably a 90’s “whatever happened to” type of reminisce – don’t add anything. Songs made for this show are quite boring as well.
Supposedly loosely based on Fleetwood Mac. You know what would be a much more interesting story? Fleetwood Mac!
Also, it’s hard to tell when they are. Show seems to be screaming through the 70’s.

One thing that I like about it: they show skylines of L.A. in the background, and two newer and taller buildings are absent.

1 Like

Ted Lasso finally was not crappy this week.

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed this season of Ted Lasso so far.

3 Likes

I seemed to like it better than most, maybe lack of expectations.

I am ok with the mythology they set up for the island, assumed something more biblical, but then you really have to match expectations.

I don’t understand how either Jacob, or the smoke allowed Dharma to ever get established in the first place. The modern technology added to the mythology is what feel kept people too off balance.

I don’t understand the last season’s “parallel lives” Kate, Charlie & Clair essentially continued as they would have. Hugo, was the same person, just without the mental history and anxiety. Ben was who he might have been if he was never on the island. James & Miles (the two con-men) were basically reinvented. Everyone else was essentially the same, but with a completely different back story and prior life. If they all lived their best life, or a continuation of prior to the flight, I could get it, no idea what this was.

I also don’t fully understand the woman form the mental institution, was she on the flight that crashed, but not the one that landed? Was she readmitted after that?

And I get that the very end was meeting in the afterlife, whenever that time came.

Same, I don’t understand the criticism I see of it.

Although I WILL say that the whole “women are just one heavy situation away from throwing themselves at each other” trope is tiring. Colin being gay was something where the groundwork was laid for a while, for Keeley I just don’t see the character development. Yes, she makes comments about Rebecca’s hotness, but has never had any lesbian or bisexual or pansexual or whatever vibes before this, IMO. And to be clear, I love non-hetero storylines, it’s this particular theme that I feel is so lazy and overdone.

Also the actress who plays Jack also plays a lesbian astronaut on For All Mankind, also on Apple TV.

2 Likes

Moonlighting.

did you watch it when it was on?

how does it hold up?

I’d only seen bits and pieces when it was on - never a whole episode. My sister watched it. I don’t know why I didn’t watch it because Cybill Shepherd.

Bruce Willis is a bit more politically incorrect than you’d probably see today, but I suppose that was also true back then.

The talking over each other is still amazingly fresh. For how great it was in His Girl Friday and I"m drawing a blank on the other old movie, it seems strange that I can only think of it being used in this series.

Cybill’s hair seems to be a continuity issue.

MASH, and other Robert Altman films had a lot of talking over

“Meet John Doe” ?
Frank Capra or Howard Hawkes films, mainly. Thing is, you’ll watch those movies and it will seem more natural. but “Moonlighting” painstakingly forces it. I think that choice was on purpose, as an homage to those films.

Dahmer - Netflix