What are you reading?

I used to never ditch a book but then I tried reading Catch 22 and ditching it was like a weight off. Now I have no problem with it.

You didnā€™t miss much IMO.

I have a few Shakespeare plays Iā€™ve been meaning to read. They are left over from my kidsā€™ high school reading (we had to buy the paperback books, so, I should read them before tossing).

BTW Iā€™m glad I stuck with this. Iā€™m not sure how much I ā€œlikeā€ it but it is good for thinking. Iā€™m 75% through and wondering if everyone is going to crash and burn by the end.

1 Like

HATED The Devil Wears Prada, and every character in it. Definitely in the ā€œmovie was better categoryā€

Next genre up Classics, an easy one, as i gave a lot to chose from. I am flying, so want something paperback and not too long.

A Passage To India - E M Forester

1 Like

Finished The Overstory and need something new.

Oh, I definitely have. I know all about sunk costsā€¦ and some books are just awful

that was one book that I gave it more time than it deserved before I just quit. It was horrible.

yeah, books I used to read in 3 days are now taking me a month. So this will not be a high volume year for me.

I finished books 2 and 3 of the Realm of the Elderlings. Decided to finally finish Little, Big, and promptly fell ill, so Iā€™ve been reading about 20 pages a day lately. I should finish Little, Big tonight.

I did buy the Liveship Traders series.

This is one where I saw the movie without knowing the book. I later heard the book wasnā€™t great, so I skipped it.

A Passage to India - hated the book, movie was decent

1 Like

Well crap, there goes that idea.

Started Flowers for Algernon yesterday, which Iā€™d read before as a kid. I remember thinking it was interesting when I read it before but itā€™s depressing now.

2 Likes

Jane Austenā€™s England, by Roy Adkins - about everyday life in Georgian/Regency England. Lots of details from diaries, and the amusing bits are from letters by foreigners, like an American who was studying at Cambridge who was mistaken for a Londoner, complaining about how poorly the Brits speak. Lots about prostitution, for some reason. (hmm)

just finished off The Surgeonā€™s Mate in the Maturin/Aubrey series, now onto the Ionian Mission

1 Like

I stopped for a while and donā€™t know why. So posting here is to get myself back on track. Iā€™ve got a bunch of stuff in the queue, but when I left off, I think I"d just started Carrie Soto Is Back, so maybe Iā€™ll go back to that.

Started 50 Words for Rain by Asha Lemmie.

Had to pause Manchild in the Promised Land.

Recently finished Flowers for Algernon, which Iā€™d read before as a kid and found depressing on reread. (Also where my lucky rabbitā€™s foot question came from.)

Also finished The Swimmers by Julie Otsuka, which Iā€™d call a novella due to the length. It was well-written but an uncomfortable read. Iā€™d imagine more so if dealing/dealt with a parent with dementia.

1 Like

I read ā€œFlowers for Algernonā€ and watched the subsequent movie ā€œCharlyā€ 50+ years ago They are not on my list to reread and rewatch as just too sad.

Started ā€œMurder on The Orient Expressā€ a few days ago. Easy read, halfway done.

I thought it was cleverly written when Iā€™d read it as a kid but everything about it is depressing from the adult perspective.

2 Likes

Finished 1Q84 last night, which is a long one by Haruki Murakami (over 1,100 pages). I enjoyed this one but was slower than some of his others. An interesting read for big Murakami fans.

No idea what to read next.

1 Like