What are you reading?

If I want to be really snotty, I could say Dante’s Divine Comedy is the greatest fan fic ever.

And yes, I love it.

I also read Jane Austen fan fic.

A lot of great sci-fi authors got started with fan fic.

1 Like

Started Manchild in the Promised Land by Claude Brown. It’s been on my list for most of a decade, but wan’t available in audio. Then it was, and I bought it, but it still just sat in my library. This week it was mentioned in a DEI newsletter I read and I decided it was time.

How long should I give myself to get into this?

Hard question. The consensus at book club was we never would have read it on our own, but it made us all think about issues we tend to ignore. So we were glad we read it.

It’s not very flattering to actuaries.

How long do you usually give a book? Don’t treat this one special bc it’s a Pulitzer.

Reading the wiki, I’m startled that an actuary, or one studying to be one, is reckless and impulsive. Sounds like someone didn’t do any research on actuaries.
Oh, and the GoT guys are working to make this into a Netflix series.

2 Likes

It depends. Some I’m so bored or annoyed with that I’ll ditch it within the first chapter. I usually give at least a chapter to about 10%. It’s an audiobook, and I’m 4% in (almost 1 hour). I’ll give it longer.

have never ditched a book, have wanted to, but can’t

It sounds like she was in the last semester of an actuarial science degree and hadn’t passed any exams. Wouldn’t she have changed her major by then?

Life is too short. If the first 3rd of the book is bad, no need to punish yourself with the rest.

I used to be that way but have since changed my mind. Once I commit, I’ll finish it even if it takes a bad turn (see: Stranger in a Strange Land)

I didn’t know that there was an actuary in the The Overstory.

Now that I think about it, there was a terrible Kindle book with an actuary that I don’t think I finished even after clearing the halfway mark.

I mean, it was 1989. Lots of people started without any exams then.

She is a wannabe actuary. A college student.

Was it By the Numbers by Jen Lancaster? I finished but rated it 2 stars out of 5.

Just read The Passenger. McCarthy’s prose was entertaining but the book was also very frustrating. Folks may not want to spend the time on it if they mind being left without all the answers.

Nope. It was this piece of hot garbage. I’f forgotten about it until I recently opened my Kindle app. The fact it’s free is a tip-off. I’d expected it to be bad but I’d underestimated how bad. I don’t know how it rated as high as it did on Goodreads.

1 Like

Great. More characters. I’m on the 3rd family storyline and was hoping they were going to merge.

Have any of you read “The Policy” by Patrick Lynch?

I have not. Library doesn’t have it.

OCD much?

no shit. want to see my book lists? movie lists? list of lists?