What are you reading?

Get something from America’s Test Kitchen or Milk Street (started by Christopher Kimball who started America’s Test Kitchen). The recipes aren’t necessarily the simplest, but they have done their best to “idiot proof” the recipe by making it with what are likely the most common substitutions and/or mistakes a home chef would make, to ensure it still turns out ok.

1 Like

Hmmm - I think I misread the point of the cookbook, so maybe not the best for “reading” but I’m leaving the post as is.

I appreciate the ideas. I might see what my library has along those lines.

Me too. Someone put that on my wish list.
While I do have some of his recipes bookmarked, some others are behind paywalls or not on the internet at all.

I have pasted recipes from the internet into Excel, then formatted them in a way that I can read and follow them (large font size), with a check mark column so I know I did the step.

1 Like

Untapped market IMO

The Song of the Cell: An Exploration of Medicine and the New Human
by Siddhartha Mukherjee

Another informative book by Mukherjee. It did not matter that I had long forgotten everything I learned in high school science as he explains everything thoroughly in an engaging manner.

I previously read and enjoyed his “Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer” as well as “The Gene: An Intimate History”. I would recommend all three Mukherjee books for anyone who is curious about the history and current state of medical science. I would suggest reading The Song of the Cell before the other two.

1 Like

Mukherjee is awesome. Always amazed that brilliant scientists like him and Asimov can explain science in entertaining, layperson terms.

1 Like

I can imagine a good reader doing it.

When I finally managed to tackle Ulysses (Joyce), after lots of prep, I got an audiobook performance with a few different readers on it - I will have to go through my goodreads to find the version. It was very well-executed.

Given all my very long commutes, I have listened to lots of audiobooks and different ways to deal with multiple characters, and I have preferred readers (I really like Frederick Davidson, for instance). I can just imagine a few of them dealing with a few specific characters. Yossarian isn’t the difficult one(s).

1 Like

I just remember re-reading a variety of passages.

Come to think of it, it has been a while since I read Catch-22 and I need something light. Maybe I’ll pull it off the shelf in the next day or 2.

1 Like

Finished The Bookshop of Second Chances. It was a good book to get lost in. I needed that.

Trying something different. The Ghost of Marlow House by Bobbi Holmes.

I have not listened to an audiobook but I expect I would enjoy this woman. Her pay is not bad ($250 an hour).

I just listened to a sample of her work on audible. I like her.

1 Like

I may have said this already somewhere (or not, whatever) but I ordered “The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma” on an Ambien related Amazon incident and this book is so fabulous I already blew through 204 of the 350+ pages.

I recommend reading it if you are at all interested in mental health related issues.

I am very interested in books concerning brain/mind issues so will check it out.

Master and Commander

1 Like

I read that book but didn’t get much out of it. Wasn’t it mostly about former soldiers? I might be thinking of another book.

nm, connected the wrong dots

There’s certainly some of that, but there’s also a good amount about child abuse and other traumas - and a solid focus on how those impact brain function.

It’s possible I’m connecting with it a bit more not because I went through any major traumas, but because I’ve maybe had some minor ones.

For example, growing up with a father who didn’t physically beat your ass but had a tendency to overreact to minor inconveniences such as the VCR being broken or your Saturday morning bowling not going stellar on the regular is literally terrifying.

The bastard also implied I was ugly a couple of times. Thanks dad.

1 Like