What are you reading?

Catch-22 is one of my all time favorites. I’ve read it 4 times, second only to The Hobbit (5 or 6).

The nonsense is what initially sold it to me.

Now, where were we? Read me back the last line.’
“Read me back the last line,”’ read back the corporal who could take shorthand.
‘Not my last line, stupid!’ the colonel shouted.
‘Somebody else’s.’
“Read me back the last line.”’ read back the corporal
‘That’s my last line again!’ shrieked the colonel, turning purple with anger.
‘Oh, no, sir,’ corrected the corporal. 'That’s my last line. I read it to you just a moment ago. Don’t you remember, sir? It was only a moment ago.

2 Likes

A heads up for fans of Cormac McCarthy. He has two novels coming out this fall: “The Passenger” and “Stella Maris”. I greatly enjoyed both “The Road” (2006) and No Country For Old Men” (2005) but apparently his two new novels are very different from his earlier books from what I have seen in interviews with him. Apparently they deal more with mathematical and physics themes.

I will definitely attempt reading them as, given his age (89) and the fact it has been 16 years since his last novel, there is a good chance these could be his last.

1 Like

No, I liked it, too.

I read it in high school for the first time, tho, and the timeline confused the hell out of me, so I got a Cliff’s Notes to help me w/ that (I didn’t have to read it for school or anything - I just wanted to read it. Someone recommended it after I mentioned I liked Slaughterhouse 5)

1 Like

Most audiobooks I listen to tend to be in the 10-12 hour range. I listen at 1.25-1.4x speed.

I hated Catch 22. Hated.

1 Like

I liked catch 22. Maybe i was depressed when i read it, though. :wink:

Recently I’ve been reading ya fantasy. So, a lot of Tamora Pierce (keldry, Alanna), some t kingfisher, some Naomi Novik. Good stuff.

I’ve just started Priory of an Orange Tree. It’s going to take a while. I get all my books from the library, on my Kindle, these days. So I’ll need to juggle a lot of holds for a while, until i finish this huge book.

1 Like

Haven’t been excited about what I’m reading in a while. Currently listening to Halsey Street by Naima Coster. One of those books I got free on Kindle via their first reads program. Started it a few years ago, got sidetracked, then the Audible version was cheap bc I had the kindle version, and finally started listening. It’s been meh. The character is depressed but maybe doesn’t know it. She’s not very likable (maybe bc of depression). I’m close to the end so I’ll finish it. Hopefully she’ll redeem herself.

Other than that it’s been a lot of nonfiction: some mental health stuff, some Dash diet stuff. Nothing I would actually recommend though.

I have some “have to” reading coming up but after that it may be time to revisit Jan Karon’s Shepherds Abiding. That always cheers me up.

Started Breathing by Andrew Weil. I’m intrigued. I googled and found out he’s a “celebrity doctor” which makes me skeptical. But a quick search didn’t find where he said anything stupid about Covid, so I may reserve judgment.

I’ve been reading this. I guess i already posted that. But so far, this is the best fantasy novel I’ve read in years.

3 Likes

the road and no country are so unbelievably good. and the coen brothers adaptation of no country is a stop and watch event whenever I find it on cable. “guess I’m up til 2am again…” bc i can’t ever find a point to turn it off.

I have also watched No Country several times. Javier Bardeem was incredible in it.

1 Like

About 40% through Catch-22. It’s been entertaining, although my mind wandered when listening to it today. It doesn’t seem like it’s going anywhere.

Spoiler Alert

It doesn’t. It’s the journey, not the destination.

1 Like

Just roll with it.

I can not imagine trying to listen to that book. It is hard enough to read it (in a good way) but listening to some of the nonsensical conversations would be so confusing.

Started The Bookshop of Second Chances by Jackie Fraser. My last book club read of the year.

After I finish I’m diving into my holiday reading list unless I get bored. I have several on hold at the library and will see what comes up. Some new-to-me authors in there so who knows? Maybe I’ll find someone I really like.

If I get tired of the holiday themed stuff I might go back and read something by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I’ve read her newer stuff but she has several from before she was on my radar.

It’s like a chorus of nonsense.

1 Like

I’ve been reading through cookbooks this year…not just the recipes but the stories and techniques, etc.

Read an Alton Brown (I’m Just here for the Food), a Homebrewing book, now working through an Italian cookbook (Tony Casillo’s Family Cookbook). Might take on the Joy of Cooking next.

I used to enjoy the Frugal Gourmet’s cook books, but then allegations and well, actually not sure where it ended up

I’m thinking I would like Alton Brown. Maybe a Christmas gift for myself.

I have Joy of Cooking but haven’t ever sat down and read it.

The Splendid Table’s How to Eat Supper was a good one to read, although I don’t think I ever made anything from that one.

And I have a Pioneer Woman cookbook (i think it’s her “quick and easy” one) that is fun to read. I have actually made some things out of that one. The “shortcuts” were things I was already doing though.