What are you reading?

It took me a bit to get into that one. It was odd but I liked it. Would read again.

1 Like

Anxious People is next on my list as my wife has just finished it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve read four Backman books already, but somehow that one didnā€™t make my list. Itā€™s been added.

I had several library audiobook holds and they all came in on the same day. Iā€™ve got The Dawn of Everything, Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel, and Peach Blossom Spring by Melissa Fu. Iā€™ll probably do them in that order.

2 Likes

I watched the first episode of Anxious People on Netflix before starting to read the book. I have now put the tv viewing on hold as I think it will be more rewarding to read the book first.

1 Like

I started watching the show yesterday. I read the book last year.

Need a beach book, next genre up - Horror.

Since I like a big book (I can not lie) at the beach, I settled on The Tommyknockers - King

1 Like

Just finished Anxious People. It was an enjoyable quick read. The interviews between the police and the ā€œhostagesā€ were hilarious. His observations on life are poignant.

Thereā€™s stuff in the book that couldnā€™t be replicated in the show. The show handled the twist well, but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d have stuck with the show if I hadnā€™t read the book.

Agree entirely. This is a point my wife and I agreed upon when we discussed the book after I finished reading it. There is complexity in the book that is hard to capture in the show.

I didnā€™t realize there was an Anxious People Show. I might watch it. Iā€™m only halfway through the book though.

Finish the book before watching the show.

2 Likes

Totally agree now that I have finished the book and the show. Book was much better.

Cloud Cuckoo Land

Greatly enjoyed it but I preferred Doerrā€™s ā€œAll The Light We Cannot Seeā€.

I forgot what time of year it is - library summer reading program time. So I was about to look for some of the shorter books on my list again, but found they changed the rules up this year. They have themes - a genre you havenā€™t read before (Iā€™m not sure what thatā€™s supposed to be, because I canā€™t think of a genre where I havenā€™t read something), takes place in a different country (piece of cake. thatā€™s probably half of what iā€™ve got), book by a POC (piece of cake?, lol - I donā€™t think I have anything on hand right now, unless I take POC to mean non-Caucasian. hmm. google sayā€™s non-white, which means I can just read whatā€™s on hand, i guess), new book format (again, what am I supposed to do? I read books and listen to audiobooks in multiple formats already), listen while you travel, write a book review.

ā€¦they have these for adults?

I always thought it was a kiddie thing.

i would.

and like you, i would find a new genre impossible

I donā€™t know if itā€™s everywhere, but theyā€™ve had it in at least a couple places Iā€™ve lived. Kids and adults have separate goals and separate potential rewards. Adults get entered into raffles for hitting the goals. Prizes are typically a gift certificate good at any place ā€œdowntownā€. Plus I got a summer reading program tshirt yesterday. Itā€™s a little fun and, of course, involves something Iā€™d be doing anyway.

Nice. Iā€™ve not seen programs for adults, but thatā€™s a good idea to incentivize book recs, etc.

Yep! Several years ago I won an ipad from my libraryā€™s summer reading program for adults.