Vaccine Messaging

Let’s hope!

It can also be no, not yet. A college classmate was eligible due to her job (public health), declined to get vaccinated :exploding_head:, switched jobs (to a hospital system), received a “better explanation of why she shouldn’t wait” and got the shot. “Better explanation” was possibly this is mandatory and here’s why, but her stated reasoning behind declining/waiting in the first place was she wasn’t sure it was safe.

There’s definitely a percentage of people saying no right now that are “slow yeses”. Seeing more people they know get vaccinated will move the needle for them.

Shows that medical workers aren’t always medically educated. I get in-home infusions, basically the only time I see anybody nowadays (still masked), and I fired my nurse after I mentioned my grandfather died of COVID and she started talking about how the death numbers were inflated and she’s worried about the vaccine. NEXT.

2 Likes

in the old site, someone posted a great link showing excess death over COVID death by state and date

has the been shared here? would love to see 2920 complete, or better the first full year

See: meep.
COVID Mortality thread here, and she has a bunch of videos embedded.

I’ll say that I am among a “slow yes” crowd – it’s been my stated preference that when the vaccine came out, I didn’t want to be a fast adopter. Considering the new technology, and short development time, I consider it prudent to wait and see how the vaccine plays in public.

Of course, given the staging of the vaccine rollout, I’m down in the middle of the pack when it comes to being allowed to register for the vaccines. By the time my group comes up, it looks like there will have been enough real-world experience for me to be willing to get it.

It has been 11½ months since I left my local area. Prior to the pandemic, I had never gone more than 3 months without at least one out-of-area trip. I have some wanderlust that needs to be dispelled! :beach_umbrella:

Here is the COVID mortality thread:
https://community.goactuary.com/t/covid-mortality/1326/129

Which reminds me, I have a couple new videos to drop in there

The impact of the pandemic on the social perception of healthcare workers seems similar to what 9/11 related wars did for armed service members.

That we had to assume 100% of them are the bravest heros of the country.

reality is some (wont speculate on how many) of both of these groups are huge POS.

1 Like

Good to see the CDC has FINALLY come out with some good vaccination messaging instead of “keep masking and stay away from everyone”.

The CDC says fully vaccinated people can:

• Visit other vaccinated people indoors without masks or physical distancing

• Visit indoors with unvaccinated people from a single household without masks or physical distancing, if the unvaccinated people are at low risk for severe disease.

• Skip quarantine and testing if exposed to someone who has Covid-19 but are asymptomatic, but should monitor for symptoms for 14 days

However, people who are fully vaccinated still need to take precautions in many scenarios. The guidelines say fully vaccinated people must:

• Wear a mask and keep good physical distance around the unvaccinated who are at increased risk for severe Covid-19, or if the unvaccinated person has a household member who is at higher risk

• Wear masks and physically distance when visiting unvaccinated people who are from multiple households.

In addition, fully vaccinated people should continue basic safety precautions, including: wearing a mask that fits well and keeping physical distance in public; avoiding medium- and large-sized crowds; avoiding poorly ventilated public spaces; washing hands frequently; and getting tested for Covid-19 if they feel sick.

CDC releases highly anticipated guidance for people fully vaccinated against Covid-19 - CNN

1 Like

:frowning: hopefully we can ditch the masks entirely at some point.

I think that CDC or the states need to be clear on what metrics need to be met to remove masks fully open.

Utah is the only state that I know about that has laid out concrete goals as to when their mask mandate will be lifted. It is by county and follows:

• 8 weeks after 1.6M 1st doses have been allocated to the state (enough for 70% of their eligible population)
  • A county has a 7 day positivity rate < 5%
  • A county has a 14 day case rate < 100 per 100k people
  • Statewide 7 day ICU utilization is < 70%
  • Statewide 7 day Covid ICU utilization is < 5%
1 Like

i’m assuming the other states will likely follow. well, other than dumb states like texas where they already removed any mask or social distancing rules.

Well, as ao fan mentions, Texas has concrete guidelines. “Open everything now. No masks required.”

That isn’t really accurate. The state wide mask requirement has been lifted. The majority of businesses and large municipalities will continue to require masks. It is simply a craven governor, who performed poorly at CPAC and who is trying to deflect attention from the fact his appointees to the Public Utilities Commission gutted most oversight of our utilities in the year leading up to the worst winter storm we have ever seen, who wants to transfer the blame of the mask requirement to business owners and mayors or county judges.

This will surely help things…

I wonder what the reaction would be if trump won and was actively touting the vaccine.

I believe most liberal leaning had resolved the science was done properly and not forced through, even before the election.

Would the conservatives change their actions, not that they believe more or less, but simply as a political statement to support trump

I can’t envision this happening, because the entire platform of the GOP is to own the libz and how do you do that by agreeing with them on something monumental to the betterment of our country?

Isn’t it wonderful that we don’t have to give a second thought to what the GOP’s vaccine platform would have been had Trump won? It would have been WHO THE HECK CARES???

There is an alternate reality thread that we can discuss “if Trump won.”

Cool. I’ll put that on my to-do list next to the “if my Vasectomy had been botched” thread