COVID mortality

Interesting. Looks like no excess deaths in Sweden under age 75.

Kvinnor = women
män = men

Also:

more COVID mortality – now northern/midwestern states:

Great presentation, again!
Yes, I believe that these are COVID-related deaths, either actual COVID, or people not going to hospitals with their heart attacks because COVID (or because the hospital was filled wwith COVID), etc. I mean, not everybody was being tested early on, though, I think someone going to a hospital or any physician’s office, might as well test them. But they weren’t.

I use a local COVID data site that allows combining of ZIP Codes, so I can get my whole city (or whole other cities), to get positive cases over the past 14 days.
Would be nice if this CDC site was set up like that to combine states, especially when they have a similar pattern (ND, SD, IA, MT, ID, for example). Can start regionalizing the data, as it’s a geographically big country and much of it is not densely populated.

1 Like

for me to look at later:

Gotta think that through, because that first wave has a huge NYC component

New study from the SOA:

https://www.soa.org/resources/research-reports/2021/excess-deaths-gen-population/

I did two videos on this

Overview:

On the issue of setting the baseline – there are some interesting trends…

Update:

1 Like

not a study…just a headline…

1 Like

Another good report. Thanks!

1 Like

Here’s a video:

Blog post on something else coming up, then I will do a blog post on the top causes of death probably Saturday.

here’s a blog post

Thank you. What is the National denominator?

ie, we know reported COVID deaths and excess death percentages, I am curious as to excess deaths above COVID

Okay, for the full U.S. (which does include an estimate for North Carolina), excess mortality was about 522K and from the JAMA article, we have 345K COVID deaths.

So about 2/3 of the excess mortality is officially COVID.

I will do a breakdown by age group later, but in my prior analyses, I’ve found that COVID deaths are >100% excess deaths for the oldest group (age 85+), and are ~20% for younger adults (age 25-45)

3 Likes

Whups, hadn’t been keeping up w/ myself.

Two recent posts:

Suicides dropped to pre-Trump levels, coincidence, I’m sure.

1 Like

Good news!

Things are looking up :wink:

4 Likes

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2021/04/25/is-it-really-true-that-the-u-s-death-rate-in-2020-was-the-highest-above-normal-since-the-early-1900s-even-surpassing-the-calamity-of-the-1918-flu-pandemic/

1 Like

tl;dr. No, it’s not true. The death rate increased by 15% from 2019 to 2020, but it jumped by 40% from 1917 to 1918.

But, if so, why would anyone claim differently? Therein lies a tale

That quote is directly from campbell’s linked article, btw.

1 Like

Thanks for the tl;dr. I would have been surprised had our recent mortality surge been as bad as during the 1918 pandemic, and hadn’t seen anyone claim that. But meeps’ post less me to wonder.

It was a misleading New York Times article.

1 Like