Vaccine Messaging

What do you think this is, the bragging thread??

Below is the crap that we are up against (I took it from a Nebraska football board of all places). Now, dumb people are going to dumb. But if the messaging from the Govt, CDC, and leading Docs was better than “keep wearing masks, stay apart, maybe we will be free in 2022” then stuff like this would have much less of an audience.

Here are 12 important questions and answers before considering getting vaccinated:

●"If I get vaccinated can I stop wearing a mask(s)?"

Goverment: “NO”

●"If I get vaccinated will the restaurants, bars, schools, fitness clubs, hair salons, etc. reopen and will people be able to get back to work like normal?

Government: “NO”

●"If I get vaccinated will I be resistant to Covid?"

Government: “Maybe. We don’t know exactly, but probably not.”

●"If I get vaccinated, at least I won’t be contagious to others - right?"

Government: “NO. the vaccine doesn’t stop transmission.”

●"If I get vaccinated, how long will the vaccine last?"

Government: “No one knows. All Covid “vaccines” are still in the experimental stage.”

● “If I get vaccinated, can I stop social distancing?”

● “If my parents, grandparents and myself all get vaccinated can we hug each other again?”

● “So what’s the benefit of getting vaccinated?”

Government: “Hoping that the virus won’t kill you.”

●"Are you sure the vaccine won’t injure or kill me?"

●"If statistically the virus won’t kill me (99.7% survival rate), why should I get vaccinated?"

Government: “To protect others.”

●"So if I get vaccinated, I can protect 100% of people I come in contact with?"

● “If I experience a severe adverse reaction, long term effects (still unknown) or die from the vaccine will I (or my family) be compensated from the vaccine manufacture or the Government?”

Government: “NO - the government and vaccine manufactures have 100% zero liability regarding this experimental drug”

So to summarize, the Covid19 “vaccine”…
Does not provide immunity
Does not eliminate the virus
Does not prevent death
Does not guarantee you won’t get it
Does not stop you from passing it on to others
Does not eliminate the need for travel bans
Does not eliminate the need for business closures
Does not eliminate the need for lockdowns
Does not eliminate the need for masking

If after reading this you still decide to get the “vaccine”…GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

Do you mean an internet bulletin board like this one? Or is that some sort of official thing?

fwiw, here are my answers:

●"If I get vaccinated can I stop wearing a mask(s)?"
No, we should all wear masks in public until transmission rates are much lower. But if most of us get vaccinated, that will happen.

●"If I get vaccinated will the restaurants, bars, schools, fitness clubs, hair salons, etc. reopen and will people be able to get back to work like normal?
No, that won’t happen until about 70%-80% of the population is immune. You’re getting vaccinated is a tiny step in the right direction.

●"If I get vaccinated will I be resistant to Covid?"
Yes. Once you’ve been fully vaccinated, the odds of you getting seriously ill from covid, including developing “long covid” appear to be vanishingly small.

●"If I get vaccinated, at least I won’t be contagious to others - right?"
Wrong. But the odds that you will transmit it to others will be much smaller.

●"If I get vaccinated, how long will the vaccine last?"
No one knows for sure, but booster vaccines will be available if we need them.

● “If I get vaccinated, can I stop social distancing?”
Partly. You should still social distance in public, and with strangers. But people who know and trust you can get closer, especially if they are also vaccinated.

● “If my parents, grandparents and myself all get vaccinated can we hug each other again?”
Yes!!!

● “So what’s the benefit of getting vaccinated?”
A lower risk of spreading the virus, and a vastly lower risk of death and other serious consequences to catching it.

●"Are you sure the vaccine won’t injure or kill me?"
No, but the safety record to date looks really good.

●"If statistically the virus won’t kill me (99.7% survival rate), why should I get vaccinated?"
There are a lot of bad outcomes other than death, such as reduced lung capacity, brain fog, and kidney damage. The vaccine reduces the risk of all of those. It also helps protect others and brings us closer to re-opening society.

●"So if I get vaccinated, I can protect 100% of people I come in contact with?"
No. There are no absolutes in medicine. But you significantly reduce the risk of spreading the disease.

● “If I experience a severe adverse reaction, long term effects (still unknown) or die from the vaccine will I (or my family) be compensated from the vaccine manufacture or the Government?”
Probably not adequately. There’s a government fund to compensate people who are injured by vaccines, but I don’t think it pays out all that much.

4 Likes

Yes, a internet message board just like this. Except its target audience is Nebraska football fans instead of actuaries. There are pages to talk football, basketball, TV, politics, etc. It is not affiliated with the University of Nebraska, just like this board is not affiliated with the SOA/CAS/AAA.

lot of good answers here. I wish public health messaging would say things like this and consistently so.

Some disagreement on reason for mask wearing, but everything else is spot on. Im thinking that medically, mask wearing is unnecessary after fully vaccinated (for the purpose of containing covid, you could argue that masks should still be required during flu season). You could argue we need a few more weeks of data to verify, but resistance and transmission rates are looking very good in the vaccinated population.

I think the real reason to wear masks after vaccinated is that we spent a year building a social pressure model to encourage (shame?) people to wear them. We allowed the population to build strong emotional ties to their views on masking. We need to unwind that model slowly for the benefit of society. I would love to see some public guidance saying something like ‘when 75% people are vaccinated, mask mandates will be removed’. But what I expect is no guidance resulting in a lack of enforcement that allows an uneven and illogical removal of masking.

I thought that the idea was that a vaccinated person could inhale Covid germs from A and then walk over to B and exhale As germs on B.

Is that not a thing?

That was the thought process behind having to keep masking up after vaccination.

But I believe a new study out of Israel shows that (at least for Pfizer) transmission is cut down by 90% after getting the vaccine.

Israeli studies find Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine reduces transmission | Reuters

You mean, like breath in here, walk there, and in the next breath exhale virus? That’s certainly not a big thing. If there’s that much virus within a couple of steps, it’s moving on its own without the help of that vaccinated person.

There is a fear that a vaccinated person might catch an extremely mild case, maybe even an asymptomatic case, and still be contagious for a couple of days between being exposed and wiping out the virus. That, and the impossibility of knowing who (in public) has been vaccinated, is why I think vaccinated people should continue to mask up for a while when they are in public. But the data is developing to show that the risk of them transmitting the disease is relatively small.

Next breath or two or five… I’m not exactly clear on whether my exhalation consists precisely of the immediate prior inhalation or if it kind of cycles through. I mean, if I put my mind to it, I’m capable of exhaling a LOT more air than my most recent inhalation*, so I assume that air can stay in your body for more than one exhalation.

Nor am I clear on how long the virus could survive in such a circumstance.

*Something singers often do in preparation is to conscientiously exhale as much as possible so that their lungs are filled with “new air” rather than “old air”. I’ve certainly found that I’m able to sing longer phrases between breaths when I do this.

That’s got to be an incredibly minor issue. I wouldn’t worry about that. The issue is if the virus reproduces for a while in your respiratory tract (possibly without making you sick) and you exhale lots of it for a couple of days, not if a few of the viral particles you inhaled go out again.

What share of the vaccine hesitation is due to poor messaging vs the spread of disinformation and antigovernment messaging that appeals to a third of Americans. Inconsistencies in early messaging in particular over masks continues to be used as an excuse today over not wearing them. That messaging could have been 100% perfect and I don’t think you have a different outcome, just a different excuse.

If messaging was different I think that you would see less of the hesitation with getting the vax.

There are the hard core anti vaxxers that won’t get it under any circumstance, but I do think there are “on the fence” people who see that if you get the vax you still can’t change your behaviors and think “what’s the point?”.

1 Like

I’d expect the number of people who have actually followed “the rules” and social distanced up until this point that would reject the vaccine on the basis of having to continue to follow “the rules” to be quite small. It is just the same group of people who have been saying “what’s the point” regarding everything COVID.

exactly this.

There is a subset of people that will always resist the vaccine, because embracing it would force them to admit they were wrong about covid being no big deal. and maybe they still just think it is no big deal.

There is a subset of people that will blindly take the first vaccine they can get because they are 100% engulfed in fear from covid. Or they just see the general public and social implications of a vaccinated population and want to be a part of that positive effort.

Then there is a large group of people in the middle… who have processed everything that happened and find some credit in both sides of the vaccine argument. I think this group is MUCH larger than the media outlets let on. This is the group that could be persuaded with better public health messaging. This is the group that could be the difference between 50% vaccination rate by June and herd immunity.

1 Like

Those are my thoughts to a “T”.

And I do believe that the new administration will do a much better job of trying to reach out to the “on the fencers” and hopefully create messaging to have the jump to the vaccination side.

But I do worry that if we continue to see low levels of cases by summer that a lot of people will think “why do I need the vaccine now?”. I think we have already started to see employers offer cash bonuses to employees to be vaccinated. Greenwoman jokingly says that she is waiting to get the vax until she gets a $10 Target gift card (similar to what they do with the flu shots).

Here are some polling numbers. https://civiqs.com/results/coronavirus_vaccine?annotations=true&uncertainty=true&zoomIn=true&trendline=true

1 Like

The “no” line is pretty stable

The “unsure” line decreasing, so good, and obviously good that the vaccination %age steadily climbing

1 Like

24% is pretty high.

the ‘no’ may be mostly people not yet eligible for the vaccine yet. Easy to stick with your opinion when it doesn’t impact your actual decisions.

Once they actually are eligible and they are a phone call away from getting it… I bet a lot of those people say ‘F what Ive been saying, give me that shot’

2 Likes