United States Congressional & Gubernatorial 2022 elections

Herschel has finally agreed to debate Warnock. I think his poll numbers are slipping enough that he needs something to give his campaign a boost. Reportedly it will happen in Savannah on 10/14.

Not even after they indict Donald Trump? You didn’t think Jan 6th related hysteria was seriously going to end in June? Don’s trial or verdict will probably align with the 2024 midterms. The Dems are politically savvy, you know. Good people.

1 Like

Debatable

2 Likes

No, I didn’t think it would end in June, and may lead to an indictment. Given the number of deluded people who think Trump’s behavior was OK, an indictment even if it occurs may not have a major impact on the elections.

Speaking of this, when is it going to end? It was supposed to end in late June then it got extended for a “few weeks” with more made-for-TV primetime hearings. But then in late July Liz Cheney and the other super good guy Republican on teh committee are saying it’s simply “ongoing,” like the idea of it ever ending just… disappeared. This week they discussed accessing the Alex Jones phone data that was possibly leaked specifically for that purpose, so it seems like the end is at least over the horizon of the midterms.

You are correct in that polling seems to indicate this is a niche issue and many Americans don’t really care anymore. As someone who wasn’t going to vote for Trump regardless of the hearings, and as someone who doesn’t identify with or condone the extremists who stormed the Capitol, why should I care now about the hearings? At some point, the eternal hearings start to feel more like political posturing by Democrats and Neocons, and less of a serious investigation, regardless of how many “bombshells” drop.

If a Trump indictment is warranted, they should just do that, instead of leveraging the tragedy as a sort of lazy association to disparage the Republican Party more generally. For me, that’s the part that feels pretty obviously dishonest. Like why is objectively bad person Dick Cheney railing against Republicans? Yes, we get it, Dick, many of them are not Neocons like you.

I agree that they are dragging this out too long and losing what steam they had.

Not only are they dragging out the 1/6 response (they are), but I think they missed a chance to indict Trump for obstruction of justice from the Mueller report evidence. Seemed there was ample evidence to go after him for obstruction as soon as he was no longer president.

1 Like

As bad as Cheney is, when his fellow hawk lost the election in 2008, Cheney accepted the defeat and attended Obama’s inauguration as a public statement of the importance of a peaceful transfer of power.

Trump lied to his supporters and tried to use physical intimidation to get Pence to help him somehow reverse the election results. Cheney’s daughter voted to impeach Trump based on this attempt to subvert the constitution. Lots of Republicans claim that Trump didn’t do anything wrong. That’s my answer to your “why” question.

You are apparently in Cheney’s head and know that Trump’s actions re the election are just a convenient cover for Cheney’s real agenda of being a disgruntled neocon.

2 Likes

Have long circled August 16 on my calendar for the Wyoming Republican primary. Is there any upcoming primary as significant as Liz Cheney’s battle for the nomination?

1 Like

How is it dishonest with the huge support Trump is still receiving from GOP leadership? Anyone in the GOP that has tried to distance themselves from Trump is a pariah in their own party. Trump and Trumpism is still the defining part of the GOP.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve assumed there isn’t much of a “battle” there.

That is so sad.

Hoping that Cheney has started her write-in campaign, gathering signatures or whatever is needed.

2 Likes

Agree that they should have indicted for obstruction in the first impeachment, but that was effectively quashed by Barr. Could have easily done it after the election but Garland was worried about it looking too political I guess.

I think you folks are missing the point of the 1/6 hearings if you think it’s some political show to make republicans look bad. They seem to be earnestly trying to connect the dots on this huge conspiracy and they are making good progress imo. More facts keep coming to light and they need time to put all these pieces together. The secret service and DHS coverup is a huge development on its own and that may tie directly to the planned siege of the capitol. Perhaps the Alex Jones phone can help fill in some gaps there but we won’t know until they pore through it all.

I agree they are running out of time, but I think they will put together a report before the election that will hopefully help Garland make his case. Just a reminder in case you forgot - the congressional investigation is separate from the DOJ. Garland has more time than congress does here. I’d rather he indict Trump sooner rather than later but it’s important to get all the details and make an airtight case.

Yep, look at Lisa Murkowski. It can certainly be done, and I think Liz Cheney would have a great chance running as an independent.

Unfortunately …

22-5-302. Unsuccessful primary candidates precluded.

An unsuccessful candidate for office at a primary election, whose name is printed on any party ballot, may not seek nomination by petition for the same office at the next general election.

If you would like more centrist candidates, this type of law is an impediment.

1 Like

Just like the time before and the time before that…

Right. Garland has to build a case that will convince 12 out of 12 jury members. If they are at all representatives of Americans as a whole, a few of them voted for Trump twice.

I do not want an indictment and an acquittal or hung jury. If he can’t convict, don’t indict.

It’s actually different this time because Pelosi wisely refused to let the Republican trolls into the committee. The first impeachment was a clown show because of Jim Jordan and his ilk.

1 Like

Thanks for the info but what a crappy policy.

I wonder if she erred in seeking the GOP nomination.