United States Congressional & Gubernatorial 2022 elections

• March 9, 2010: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi [D-CA-12th District] speaks at the 2010 Legislative Conference for the National Association of Counties:

“You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention–it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting. But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.” [62]

• March 18, 2010: The preliminary estimate from the CBO is presented to Speaker Nancy Pelosi. In Table 2. under “Effects on Insurance Coverage,” the chart shows the “Post-Policy Uninsured Population” of the nonelderly going from 50 million in 2010 to 23 million in 2019. [63]
    How the ACA (Obamacare) Was Negotiated - The A-MARK Foundation

There is no evidence that Pelosi told anyone before the vote. The news that the CBO was told not to release their report was discussed in places like the old AO. I can’t find anything official (including the 2010 Forbes article), but I remember how remarkable it was that a government-employed actuary went to Forbes to publish his findings.

Recent: Congressional Budget Office Confirms The Folly And Waste Of Expanded Obamacare Subsidies

It looks to me like the CBO published their report on the same day-- March 18, 2010? But maybe you mean some alternative report.

But okay. It’s probably not worth dragging too much. I do miss having the AO as a reference.

2 Likes

I believe there is a “Congress election thread of 2008” somewhere around here…

1 Like

and replaced. day one was a busy day of big things!

1 Like

Well IIRC part of the issue with Obamacare was that the bill was designed so that the CBO score included 10 years of additional revenue but only 6 (or maybe 7?) years of additional expenses. So it was incredibly misleading.

And the revenue estimates were crazy high and the expense estimates were super-crazy low.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Is SAS the new Excel?

Moved interesting SAS side conversation to its own thread.

Well my last post was part of that conversation too.

fixed?
:grimacing:

1 Like

Nowhere except in Arizona is there much clamor about the 2022 US elections being fixed, and they weren’t in AZ either.

For full clarity for others who might be reading, my “fixed” comment earlier was in reference to twig’s statement about a post that was actually related to a topic that was split off to a separate thread.

In terms of the topic of the current thread, my view regarding “fixed elections” will be tied directly to gerrymandering which I do believe took place with some of the recent redistricting for the House.

It is known that dehydration can cause hallucinations and delusion. It’s not really their fault that they live in a desert.

It kinda is…

4 Likes

Only if they have enough money to be able to afford to move out, right?

“But my sinuses!!”

Or chose to move to that shit hole.

This is a good topic. Why would someone choose to live in the desert? Everytime I consider moving out West for the weather I think about washing dishes and how I like to just leave the water running while I do it and I say to myself, “self, you wouldn’t be able to do that out west”

Visiting Phoenix over Labor Day weekend was enough to convince me that I never wanted to live there. I went down for Spring Training / friend’s birthday maybe 6-7 years later and that confirmed it. “Spring” was way hotter than summer in either Portland or certainly Seattle. I can’t remotely imagine summer.

That said, a lot of Oregonians and Washingtonians retire down there. It’s sort of the Florida of the west in that regard. And the ones I talk to absolutely love it. I haven’t figured out why, but I believe them.

1 Like

i could stand that place for like 2-3 months a year. after that the heat would be awful.

but i don’t think i can even plan to do that given the water issues.

1 Like

I was in Phoenix once during like October maybe. What really got me was how hot it was when I left my hotel at like 8AM. Same in the evenings, it’s just relentless. I lived in Colorado for a long time, and it was common to see 95° days, but at least mornings and evenings were pleasant. I’m a firm no on Phoenix.

Would consider living in CO again, or northern NM.