United States Congressional & Gubernatorial 2022 elections

Nowhere except in Arizona is there much clamor about the 2022 US elections being fixed, and they weren’t in AZ either.

For full clarity for others who might be reading, my “fixed” comment earlier was in reference to twig’s statement about a post that was actually related to a topic that was split off to a separate thread.

In terms of the topic of the current thread, my view regarding “fixed elections” will be tied directly to gerrymandering which I do believe took place with some of the recent redistricting for the House.

It is known that dehydration can cause hallucinations and delusion. It’s not really their fault that they live in a desert.

It kinda is…

4 Likes

Only if they have enough money to be able to afford to move out, right?

“But my sinuses!!”

Or chose to move to that shit hole.

This is a good topic. Why would someone choose to live in the desert? Everytime I consider moving out West for the weather I think about washing dishes and how I like to just leave the water running while I do it and I say to myself, “self, you wouldn’t be able to do that out west”

Visiting Phoenix over Labor Day weekend was enough to convince me that I never wanted to live there. I went down for Spring Training / friend’s birthday maybe 6-7 years later and that confirmed it. “Spring” was way hotter than summer in either Portland or certainly Seattle. I can’t remotely imagine summer.

That said, a lot of Oregonians and Washingtonians retire down there. It’s sort of the Florida of the west in that regard. And the ones I talk to absolutely love it. I haven’t figured out why, but I believe them.

1 Like

i could stand that place for like 2-3 months a year. after that the heat would be awful.

but i don’t think i can even plan to do that given the water issues.

1 Like

I was in Phoenix once during like October maybe. What really got me was how hot it was when I left my hotel at like 8AM. Same in the evenings, it’s just relentless. I lived in Colorado for a long time, and it was common to see 95° days, but at least mornings and evenings were pleasant. I’m a firm no on Phoenix.

Would consider living in CO again, or northern NM.

People shut it off between each dish?

Since I’m in one of those droughty areas:
Double sink: one to fill with soapy water, one for rinsing (not filled). So, I generally rinse a lot of stuff at once in the rinsing sink, turn off the water, put them on the rack to dry, rinse some more, repeat.
Also, using a couple of five-gallon buckets for showers waiting for the hot water. Looks to take about a gallon or so’s worth of time.

Does this mean you put a 5 gallon bucket in the shower to collect the water that comes out while you wait for it to get hot?

That’s a good idea. What do you do with the water? Flush toilets with it? Water plants?

Just curious. It would be heavy for me to manage.

Another option is to install one of those devices that circulates the water back to the hot water heater. You pay more for electricity & gas but save water and don’t have the annoying wait for the water to get hot.

I brush my teeth with “hot” water that I’m waiting to actually get hot to wash my face with. Actually first I fill my cup with “hot water” then brush teeth with “hot” water.

5 gallons is heavy. We have a 2 gallon bucket that we fill when the shower is getting hot. We have about 2 dozen rose plants lining our front yard. We have a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it that we start at one end of the roses. Take the ~2 gal bucket dump in in the 5 gal bucket. Next day move it down the line. Repeat until it gets to the end and start over.

But really residential water savings is mostly a feel good exercise as I believe over 90% of all water is used in agriculture and commercial business applications.

1 Like

I’ll take Phoenix’s 110 degree heat over Atlanta’s 80 degree heat . . .

1 Like

Agreed. I went to Phoenix in June for a few days once. Even though it was blazing hot, I was okay walking around for several hours a day as long as I had ample water and sunscreen. Not saying I’d would or would not want to live there, but it was a welcome break from the muggy summer heat where I’m from.

ETA: Okay, maybe not at 110 degrees. More like mid-nineties.

110 sucks. It’s like walking into a furnace. But yes when it’s “hot and humid” that kind of sucks too. We were in Florida last summer with 90 degrees and high humidity, that was awful.

So many questions, so I numbered them.

1. Again, it’s only a gallon or so per showering, and the bucket is plastic, so not that heavy (though if it has about 3 gallons, it’s pretty heavy). Last couple of weeks, though, our “rain barrel” (holds maybe 10 gallons) has been full, so we have not been doing this routine. Will start up again soon. Thinking about getting rain barrels and gutters for the house, but, again, they’d have to be several 100-gallon ones. I was visiting my brother in law and his two rain catchers were overflowing as it was raining. They seem to be 100 gallons each, maybe smaller. I’d probably stack them up, maybe five-high to the second-story gutter. Probably quite dangerous, though. But, just gives you an idea of how much it can rain in a couple hours. And, that caught rain would have to last until July!
    Here’s something:
    https://www.amazon.com/GROW1-Collapsible-Reservoir-Storage-Barrel/dp/B07BT2WW81?th=1
  2. We water our lawn and trees and plants.
  3. No.
  4. Yes.

True in many if not most states. I try not to use excessive amounts of water but I’m not bending over backwards to save a gallon in Kansas. I even went for the 1.6gpf toilet in our new bathroom instead of the 1.3gpf that are more common. :ohnoes: