Today I learned

What do the Truth In Lending laws have to do with PowerPoint?

A catalfaque is the framework to support a coffin while on display, as in while lying in state. The catalfaque used in the US capitol for those lying in state was originally built for Lincoln.

2 Likes

One of the suggestions for the name of Minnesota was Washington.

Interesting.

I’ve been on a Chippewa reservation in Wisconsin near the UP. Didn’t realize Chippewa extended into Minnesota.

I wonder what Washington state would have selected if “Washington” was already taken.

1 Like

My thought, too. Perhaps, they would’ve gone with “Columbia, DW”

1 Like

I’m laughing at the PC storm we’d be witnessing if the state had been called “Jackson”.

Has any state/commonwealth ever changed it’s named after becoming a state?

Other than to become a new state (such as Maine breaking off from Massachusetts or Kentucky and later West Virginia breaking off from Virginia) I think Rhode Island is the only one.

And that was pretty trivial.

1790 - 2020: State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations

2020 - present: State of Rhode Island

Many people know that the theme song to the tv show The Big Bang Theory was performed by Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies.

But do you know who performs the theme song to the spinoff show Young Sheldon? {it goes…“I Am a Mighty Little Man”}

steve was the coolest!

In Germany, one New Year’s tradition is to make fried yeast donuts filled with … with… :roll_eyes: :nauseated_face: rai-SINS!!! :face_vomiting:

Do you know what they are called in German??? Rheinische Krapfen. Yup, KRAP-fen. Sounds about right.

2 Likes

Sind Sie verrĂźckt? Rheinische Krapfen schmeckt gut!

Nein!!! :-1:

In my house it is NYE tradition to make Fleischküchlein…which is dough filled with hamburger, onion, and raSINS!!! …j/k no raisins…just a meat mixture in dough and deep fried.

This year, for a variety of reasons, I won’t be making it. :cry:

Now this is how you deep fry dough!!! :+1:

I’m sorry to hear you won’t this year. :cry:

1 Like

I’m way out of the loop on TV shows, I don’t watch a ton. I recently learned where @soyleche got his forking sig line because I started watching that one.

3 Likes

Today I was reminded this place has sig lines. I’ve had them hidden for a long time.

1 Like

Me, too. I feel like sig lines take up too much real estate in this format, and are really annoying. So I turned them off pretty much as soon as I realized I could.

3 Likes

Is there a way to see someone’s sig without turning them on?

I don’t know. But here is the sig line in question in case you’re still wondering.

“We do nothing. We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.” – Eleanor Shellstrop

5 Likes

my favorite arizona trash can. also a straight up snack! loved that show.

1 Like