Today I learned

Albania had a civil war because ponzi schemes collapsed:

Albanian citizens thought the government profited from said schemes, and so they started protesting against the government in January 1997.

I seriously do not remember hearing about any of this, but maybe I was too busy with grad school.

TIL thereā€™s a Today I Learned thread.

2 Likes

This site actually has good search features, unlike the old AO

2 Likes

Room sizes differ by language? The air purifier box says it is for a medium room, pero para una habitaciĆ³n grande.

I guess itā€™s not ventiā€¦

Itā€™s a mourning dove not a morning dove.

1 Like

There are many varieties of mangos. Which makes total sense, there are many varieties of apples, and grapes, and so forth. Iā€™d just never thought about it before.

The British like a condiment called Salad Cream. It is somewhat similar to mayo, but the proportions of oil and vinegar are flipped; mayo has a lot of oil and some vinegar, where salad cream has a lot of vinegar and some oil.

That sounds like an interesting mayo alternative, as I like the tanginess of vinegar. I wouldnā€™t use it on a typical tossed salad, but might on sandwiches or in something like coleslaw.

TIL the word ā€œincommodingā€.

TIL the word ā€œderogationā€.

via EU extends Finlandā€™s COVID-19 derogations

without looking at the definition, and playing some Balderdash:
ā€œGoing to the loo.ā€

1 Like

Today I learned Jackie Mason did not pass away years ago, but days ago.

1 Like

During a discussion with the wife about flat whiteā€™s we wondered where they came from. Well apparently that is a controversyā€¦

TIL: there is something called a ā€œflat white.ā€
No, I do not drink coffee of any sort.

2 Likes

I too did not know of ā€œflat whitesā€ prior to Nickā€™s post. And I held out longer than most people before I became a cannot-function-without-my-daily-coffee kind of person. I didnā€™t even drink coffee at all until grad school which I started a month before my 26th birthday. Then didnā€™t drink it at all for 5 years after grad school until I attempted FSA exams.

But alas, I am now a daily coffee drinker and get such a bad headache if I skip a day that I donā€™t ever skip a day anymore. I blame the SOA.

Haricot vert is a green bean

Coriander is the seeds of cilantro.

That atheists have Chaplains. And Harvardā€™s new chief Chaplain is an atheist.

Today I found this Wikipedia page:

There are 5 places named Midlothian in America.

https://geotargit.com/called.php?qcity=Midlothian