Today I learned

To me, a NY cheesecake is typically baked at a higher temperature and has a firmer, denser texture. I’ve seen recipes that specify that they can result in either a delicious light, fluffy cheesecake if baked properly in a water bath, or a NY style cheesecake if cooked wrong. The higher temperature tends to result in a bit of a rim, but that is not necessary for a NY cheesecake.

Hmmm, well Chicago cheesecake is not remotely fluffy. But it is shorter than NY cheesecake and has a smoother crust and less crust.

But I’m not sure about “classic” cheesecake or cheesecake made with ricotta. Chicago cheesecake definitely does NOT contain ricotta. One of them has more eggs than the other but I no longer recall which is which. I’ve honestly never heard of a cheesecake made with ricotta, but apparently it’s a thing.

Well I guess there are a lot of cheesecake styles out there.

I prefer a cheesecake that isn’t dense. I love any cheesecake, but really prefer the kind that is closer to a custard than a block of cream cheese.

Yeah, unfortunately I don’t know the ingredients since it was bakery bought. I was thinking about trying it at home.

and all the ones i see are in a water bath.

it isn’t a different cheesecake, it is some people don’t bake correctly

i can taste the difference. most NY cheese cakes have a graham cracker crust as well

Ditto. I’ve never seen a cheesecake recipe that didn’t call for a water bath. Except for Grandma’s cheesecakes, which are cooked in a frying pan.

Some of you clearly don’t know class here.

7 Likes

I looked up Ina Garten’s recipe, she doesn’t, but I feel that is choice, and doesn’t change the style of the cake. The water bath is great if you don’t trust the oven’s temperature

Cheesecake :gross:

1 Like

As a lifelong Chicagoan, I don’t think we have “Chicago Cheesecake”. We have Eli’s, and Eli’s has Cheescake. Any other cheesecake in Chicago is probably just trying to impersonate Eli’s. Eli’s is the best cheesecake. I like the chocolate chip cheesecake from Eli’s best.

Hmm, the restaurant I worked at in high school served “Eli’s Chicago cheesecake”, so I was basing my comments off that.

I agree that Eli’s is awesome. We only served the basic cheesecake though… no chocolate chip option where I worked. (Which to be clear, was in Cincinnati.)

Well, to be consistent, we have lots of hot dog places in Chicago. When I go to them I order a Hot Dog, not a Chicago Hot Dog. The “Chicago” part is implied. They’re the best because they get served with everything that they need., green relish, pickle, sport peppers, tomatoes, mustard, onion, celery salt, and no flippin’ ketchup.

What’s a sport pepper?

One guy throws the hot dog at someone, who bats it back to the thrower.

1 Like

Is this game played in a hallway?

2 Likes

Literally? No. We have “no pepper” signs in the hallway.
Metaphorically? Doesn’t really tie to wtf a “sport pepper” actually is.
But, a sport pepper actually is a hot pepper put on hot dogs in the Chicago region. Google tells me so.
I’ll pass on so-called “Chicago Dogs.” I prefer plain, cuz no mess, cuz I’m a klutz. I mean, I’d be eating it with a fork and knife with all that shit on it, and I wouldn’t hear the end of THAT.

It’s definitely a “lean forward when you eat” food. The wrapper or box it came in can be very helpful in containing the mess.

Yup, so I look for alternatives. Like, if in Chicago, pizza. Yes, with a knife and fork.

TIL: there’s such a thing as a “sport pepper”

2 Likes