Today I learned

“…that store that is no longer here.”

2 Likes

It’s still alive in Australia and NZ. Not sure if they French up the pronunciation there.

I pronounced it as “Came Apart” because usually* whatever I bought there did within a short while.

*exaggerating exaggerations are provided at no extra cost

Wikipedia says that as of April there were still 9 left in the United States. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Our K-mart turned into a Target a couple years ago. Really classed up the joint.

2 Likes

We said “Tar-jay” and “Jacques Pen-nay” to be smartasses

4 Likes

Mazda (the car company) derives its name not from the Japanese language nor is it an acronym. They named it after Ahura Mazda, the supreme being in Zoroastrianism, an ancient Iranian religion.

2 Likes

In the 1950s, a company decided to add filters to cigarettes to make them safer. The filter material they chose was pure asbestos.

NY cheesecake isn’t just a different shape of cheesecake, but officially has a different ingredients and texture. I guess I haven’t had NY and non-NY style cheesecakes close enough together to tell before.

1 Like

Yeah, to me the most obvious difference is in the crust. I prefer the crust on Chicago-style cheesecake. I’m pretty indifferent to the fillings as they taste pretty similar.

That said, NY-style cheesecake is still pretty good. Just not quite as good as Chicago-style.

Ditto for pizza. Essentially Chicago took everything New York had and figured out how to improve it.

[ducking]

1 Like

I’ve never heard of Chicago Cheesecake. After reading up on it it sounds like a lesser version of New York Cheesecake. I’m sure it’s fine since most cheese cake is delicious but side by side I’d prefer the New York version.

As for the abomination that is bread covered in tomatoes that is somehow called pizza, I’ll take New York pizza everyday and twice on Sunday.

1 Like

I have a sister who has lived in NJ for 25 years now. What they call NJ cheesecake is “fluffy” compared to NY cheesecake. Much closer to NY cheesscake than whipped cream, but still fluffy enough to spoon into cored fresh strawberries. Yum!

i only know NY (Jewish) Cheescake - Cream Cheese and

Italian Cheesecake (Ricotta)

and even Detroit has better pizza than Chicago

Holy shit.

I know it has a different flavor and texture, but I’ve never noticed a difference in shape. What’s the difference?

I don’t know if it’s an “official” thing, but the ny cheesecake slices I’ve had always have an edge that was raised and had a baked texture, but classic cheesecakes don’t have that. Also when I get cheesecakes from the grocery store, the NY ones are taller (less toppings) and the classics are thinner (more toppings) but I don’t know if that’s an official thing either.

This is a photo of what I get when I order ny cheesecake:

And a photo of classic cheesecake:

I dunno, they just look different.

Huh. Those both look like they might be new York cheesecake to me. I identify the heavy ones with a lot of cream cheese as NY, and the lighter ones with more ricotta as “the other style”, since NY cheesecake is the default style to me.

I guess i don’t eat a ton of cheesecake, and I’m probably missing some fine gradations among styles.

(we also have a recipe from my husband’s mother of a recipe her mother made called just “cheesecakes” which is a savory main course, and kind of a fried patty of unsweetened cheesecake batter. We’ve never made it, so I’m not really sure what’s in it, except that i flip past it in the recipe book a lot. But it’s a third kind of cheesecake.)