Today I learned

Not today, but this term I learned to pronounce Euler. I don’t know how I never heard someone pronounce it before.
I always say you-ler.

1 Like

It’s basically oiler, right? That’s how my profs pronounced it and I haven’t heard it spoken in years.

2 Likes

I’ve always heard it pronounced Oiler, but I still want to say You-ler when I pronounce it for some reason.

It’s the same vowel sound that’s in the word Deutsch

Euler was European, right? I heard he was euthanized after consuming too much eucalyptus, which can be just a bit too euphoric, if you get my euphemism. None of that was mentioned in his eulogy, of course, it focused too heavily on his euchre feud with Euclid, who was by many accounts the more eurythmic mathematician.

12 Likes

I first encountered the name in a computer game called HardBall!. He was a pitcher, as I recall. At the time, I pronounced it “you-ler”. Then I went to the big university where one of the students…no…wait…this was course 152 (?) at the Uof Waterloo where one of the fellow students, who was obviously French, pronounced it “oiler” except in a more snooty way as only the French can.

2 Likes

Bravo…bravo, indeed.

1 Like

Sweet dreams…

Detroit FTW IMO

1 Like

oi vey :hsmack:

2 Likes

re: Euler

once I was judging a math fair on Long Island and the kids were all all pronouncing it You-ler.

So when I was giving some remarks (not the judging), I told them “I’m going to induct you into the secret math club” and told them how to pronounce Euler (and helped them to remember, by telling them that Reuters had the same “oy” pronunciation – or Deutsch)

I told them it was just a marker of being “in the know”, as English speakers often pronounced non-English names in our own way. (such as Paris)

But that if they said Oi-ler, then that would indicate that they knew the great secrets… but mainly it would indicate some math teacher like me had told them and they had remembered.

6 Likes

Ooh ooh , now do his friend “Couchy”

3 Likes

Oh damn that was another revelation in pronunciation. Kooshee.

1 Like

Euler? I hardly know her.

Koe-shee

Left handed vs right handed writer (I am a “righty /” 'er myself)

maybe next they can pronounce karaoke correctly

it’s funny. If you pronounce european words correctly: educated

but if you pronounce asian words correctly: foreigner

1 Like

Pock ee stahn
EE rahn

1 Like

That’s just well spoken.