Time Wars: Space Ship edition

Ah, that makes sense, thank you

To add to what Steve said . . . consider in the 1-dimensional space what the distance is between -3 and 5. Now extend that to the 4-dimensional (orthogonal) space (so the total distance will be the sum of the distances of each component).

Yes, this is right. And IFYP. :wink:

Although, I will point out that the Time Wars universe is one where hyperspheres compactly cover hyperspace, so my use of sums is completely cromulent.

IFY(IFYP)

Is 0 a valid coordinate? Is it considered + or - or both? Could we all do (0,0,0,0) as our starting coordinates if we wanted to?

And our ships have to start in our starting sectors, right?

0 is a valid coordinate for moving, but NOT for starting locations. And yes, your ship must start in the starting sector.

1 Like

When you submit a MOVE:

You can submit it as MOVE (3,2,3,2) and I would move the ship 3 in the x, then 2 in the y, then 3 in the z, then 2 in the t direction. Or you could submit MOVE (2,0,0,0), (0,0,3,0), (0,2,0,0), (1,0,0,0), (0,0,0,2) and I would execute them in left to right order.

For scan, you just need to SCAN ā€” itā€™s always from your ship.

For FIRE, just submit FIRE (x,y,z,t) where the target is in range.

For those who set up spreadsheetsā€¦ how did you do that? I canā€™t even wrap my brain around how to get started

Your base canā€™t move, right? Once you pick itā€™s starting location, your stuck with it?

Iā€™m working on a spreadsheet now. I donā€™t think it will be very good. I did go crazy and write a function to calculate the taxicab distance:

Function TaxicabDistance(A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H)
TaxicabDistance = Abs(A - E) + Abs(B - F) + Abs(C - G) + Abs(D - H)
End Function
2 Likes

Your base can not move.

1 Like

Suppose that an enemy ship is between your firing ship and the fire target; will the missile ā€œstopā€ upon encountering the enemy ship (like the auto-stop at the base when moving) and that location is the center?

Or is the missile traveling a worm-hole to the fire target?

Your ships must be terrible at evasive maneuvers. Mine would never get hit via missile trajectory.

Though the sight of the missile flying by tells me I am going to die.

Unlessā€¦ can ships occupy the same space as another ship?

Alright, first turn submitted.

Could you update the OP to indicate the order in which events are processed?

If I understand correctly:
You process SCAN first, the ships MOVE, finally the results of FIRE.

Also: suppose that a ship is at a Sectorā€™s BASE location; does it also benefit from the Baseā€™s shielding?

Space is big ā€” the missile will not hit ships while in transit.

1 Like

My understanding is that a ship can occupy the same coordinates as a sectorā€™s base; so I donā€™t see why two ships can be co-located.

Sort of like in topography, you can give coordinates that indicate a 10m plot of ground; so two people can occupy the same plot and, therefore, have the same coordinates.

1 Like

This happened in my future, FWIW.