Time Wars: Space Ship edition

For Scan, you don’t supply a location. You would just indicate Ship A is scanning. If you were at 2,1,3,2 and there was a base at 1,1,1,1 and a ship at 6,2,3,2, you would scan and I would privately send you at message that read:

Scan successful — you found an empty base at distance 5 in direction of (-,0,-,-) and Mountainhawk’s ship at distance 5 in the direction of (+,+,0,0).

Alternately, if less lucky, you get:

Scan unsuccessful - there are no ships or bases within distance 5 of your ship.

I’ll answer FIRE separately.

For FIRE, this is a good point. I originally did everything in Euclidean distance, then switched to taxicab when I switched the universe from a sphere to a cube to make the valid coordinates easier to deal with. FIRE will hit everything in a taxicab distance 6 or less away.

Bases have blast shielding and can not be destroyed by missiles.

If you control the base of sector D, and one of your ship ends a turn in Sector D, then it will have 5 missiles.

Space does not wrap around.

Also, for SCAN, please note that the scan for ships happens before movement, so you know where they were at the start of this turn, not necessarily where they are at the start of next turn.

1 Like

So, we’ll know players’ identities from scans, including their base (if within the scan)?

Also, what is the max range of the scan?

I.e., a ship farther than a taxicab distance of X from my ship would not register. What is the value of X? 10? 25? 6?

Scans reach a taxicab distance of 5 from your ship.

1 Like

Another question: suppose I gain control of a base in a NEW sector, how soon will that base resupply my ship(s) with missiles? Start of the next turn?

If you move into a base at the during round 4, the ships will resupply for the first time at the end of round 4, so they’ll have 5 missiles in round 5.

First of all, super excited to play a game run by MH.

Second of all, I have no idea how to play, but…

If someone wants to build me a spiffy Excel spreadsheet that does all of the math for this game, that’d be great.

kthxbye

I’m going to be flying around scanning and shooting with all the strategy of a 5 year old playing 4-dimensional battleship.

2 Likes

I have a file for you . . . but this platform won’t let me upload an Excel file; just piggies.

Setting up a spreadsheet. Is there a reason you skipped “I”? I want to keep things lined up with what you have and I’m not sure if skipping it was intentional.

Thanks!

I always skip I to avoid any confusion with lower case L.

Thanks

I suppose I should get my material pulled together . . .

Hope we can dig up a couple of more people for Wednesday.

1 Like

I have my preliminary worksheet set up. All I need to know is my starting sector

Note for the future @Mountainhawk: I would also have that last sector labeled either “R” or “S” as Q and O can look very, very similar. (Similar comment about P and R, but it’s likely less problematic.)

1 Like

Last day to get in. Sometime around 2pm ET today I’ll send out starting sector assignments, and your base placement, ship placement, and first ship actions will be due at 12pm ET tomorrow.

1 Like

Just to make sure I understand this, Taxicab distance is taking the difference between the sums of two sets of numbers? So the taxicab distance between (1, 1, 1, 1) and (2, 2, 2, 2) would be 4 (8-4)?

• Ships can move up to 10 taxicab distances (not sure if that’s the right way to say that)
  • You can fire at a point that is within 7 taxicab distances away, and it will take out everything within 6 taxicab distances of that point (except the firing ship)
  • When you scan you get info on anything within 5 taxicabs away.

Just wanting to make sure that I can at least submit valid actions.

My guess is that your understanding is what he means, but “sums” is not precise when values can be negative. Thus (a,b,c,d) and (e,f,g,h) taxicab distance is |a-e| + |b-f| + |c-g| + |e - h|. IMO.

1 Like