Thread where actuaries diagnosis medical issues

Chances are they drink a lot more than anyone realizes.

Drink 750 ml of vodka the night before, wake up, slog through your day, touch some alcohol and puke.

Afterward, probably drink more. The life of an alcoholic.

It makes sense it just started happening. Chronic alcohol poisoning takes a while to take effect. Take care to taper them if I’m right, alcohol withdrawal syndrome can be a bitch (and deadly, even.)

almost every time i visit this particular friend for an extended period of time i have extreme itching on my back. there are 2 dogs here and i know i’m mildly allergic to dogs based on a recent allergy test. is it possible that a dog is causing this and what the hell can i do about it? it’s torture. only my back itches, no other part. sometimes it continues when i leave, but it never starts when i’m not here.

Sorry, just catching up on this thread.
Sounds like a shitty bp machine.
That is my diagnosis.

i took off this lulu lemon jacket i perpetually wear and it feels a little better. i wonder if there is dog hair embedded in it that doesn’t come out in the wash.

i think it might be that because i line dry this jacket it attracts dog hair in the air and that’s why it seems to get worse after i wash it.

that’s it. dog has to go.

My period is now two weeks late. I’m 36, so menopause is unlikely. I took a pregnancy test after one week late, when my phone notified me I was late (wasn’t thinking about it before that), which was negative. Sure, false negatives are a thing, but they’re SUPER rare after your period is already late, and not to mention my husband had a vasectomy, so we are talking about two rare events happening simultaneously. Occam’s razor and all that.

I’m taking a few medications for my herniated disc, but neither is known for causing amenorrhea. I’m also dealing with a lot of stress because of recent medical issues, but not at a severe level. I was far more stressed out during the decade I was taking exams; this is a cake walk in comparison. I’ve stopped taking the medications since my pain is managed enough now with just Advil. Maybe that will help.

I need to see my gyno soon anyway, but if I don’t get my period next month, I’ll officially be worried and will be moving up that appointment. I feel okay, pretty normal, other than the neck stuff.

I was four days late last month, too, before any of the neck stuff started. Until lately my cycle has been super predictable. It was always between 27 and 29 days, and usually 28. So clearly I’m dying.

when i’m super late or super early which is happening all the time lately, i attribute it to perimenopause. of course, i could have cancer, but i’m not going to get an invasive test to rule out that teeny tiny chance.

you seem a little young for perimenopause. not impossible as there are a few women your age in my fb group, but it’s rare.

1 Like

quick google tells me that perimenopause can start as early as your mid 30’s.

Perimenopause: Age, Stages, Signs, Symptoms & Treatment (clevelandclinic.org)

but with how much hormones fluctuate; you might not be able to get a real diagnosis for perimenopause. it’s just assumed for women over 45. for women in their 30s, they can test your hormones, but it’s not necessarily gonna be conclusive.

1 Like

I can’t relate because my period was rarely regular. I spent a summer traveling after i graduated college, and got my period once at the beginning of the summer, and then not for 3 more months. I didn’t have any sex over that time, and it never occurred to me i might be pregnant. I mentioned it at my next annual gyn exam, and the doctor said that missing periods due to stress is extremely common, and traveling counts as stress.

I was more regular after i went in birth control pills, but i never got in the habit of keeping track, because i was SO irregular from 13 until the pill. This was awkward when i had kids, as they would ask, “what was the date of your last period?” and i had no idea. But they make medical decisions based on how many days it’s been since that date i didn’t know.

1 Like

A lot of seemingly random things can affect your cycle. Try not to worry, and do mention it to your gyn. And move up your appt if that makes you feel better.

1 Like

Today I went to a real doctor (not an actuary, not a WC doctor) and confirmed that I did in fact sprain my ankle 3 weeks ago. Starting physical therapy next week.

1 Like

Is it possible to get 3 consectutive colds or is this just the same cold getting worse again lawd help me

I think I’ve built up an immunity to the XQuils.

All the x quills do for me is put me to sleep temporarily. Doesnt clear any cold symptoms at all. So dayquil is useless

I used it one night to sleep with covid and woke up like 5 hours later with no effects at all

in nyquil’s defense, it says it lasts 4 hours and it’s main goal is to allow sleep despite symptoms (or hold them at bay - for 4 hrs) to allow sleep.

1 Like

Right, so you take 2.5 doses to get 10 hours of sleep. Simple math.

then what’s the point of dayquil if the point of nyquil is to put you to sleep? I didn’t find dayquil did much at all.

:grimacing: or die in your sleep.

i didn’t defend dayquil

Ok here’s one for the actuary-doctors:

Hubby got one of those $50 scans that looks for calcium buildup. His calcium score was good but this note was on his results:

“A focal hypodense area in the liver suggests a probable hepatic cyst; correlate with ultra sonography.”

He has a doctor’s appointment next week where hopefully this will be explained and any follow up tests will be needed.

My guess before googling: He needs an ultrasound to see if there is a cyst on his liver. And if there is?